Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Isn’t it curious…

... that for the 1958 model year, both Gibson and Gretsch went to pairs of dual-coil pickups...

and much of the auto industry went to two headlights per side?

(And that each coil in the pickups - and each headlight in each pair - were smaller than the singles which had preceded them?)

I mean, I'm just asking.

For the record, both industries were way behind Wrigley gum, who started advertising Doublemint gum with attractive twins in 1939.

Short of the Cold War, and Civil Rights, the late 50's were idealic in Modern American History...

Really!

The '50's gave birth to 2 cars in the family for the middle income bracket that had come into existance following WWII, once the economy got back on track. Subdivisions flourished and homes came with 2 car garages.

And 1958 was 2 years before 1960. I was born in 1964, exactly 2 sets of 2 years each after the 2 years previous to them when Gibson and Gretsch went to pairs of double coil pickups. And I had 2 parents and being an average male, I have two.....”HOLY KEVIN BACON, BATMAN!!!!” It’s just uncanny!

I know, right?

That’s so you can double your plea...oh never mind.

Yer screwin' with the space-time continuum, kid!

When was the double cutaway introduced?

When was the double cutaway introduced?

Oh man. 1958, I think. The ES-335, right?

I was born in 62 with a full set of 2s.

All the best things came alive in '58.

Good morning. Curious about a Gretsch Tennessean recently acquired from an estate. Label on inside of body shows model 7655 and serial number 23397. Model and serial are side by side on the label. Any help is greatly appreciated. David

Good morning. Curious about a Gretsch Tennessean recently acquired from an estate. Label on inside of body shows model 7655 and serial number 23397. Model and serial are side by side on the label. Any help is greatly appreciated. David

– David L. Nix

It would help your investigation if you were to start a new thread in the Vintage Gretsch Guitars section asking for help to identify an old Tennessean. Experts will find you and happily offer help. Also, add picture(s).

– NJBob

Including me! ...and yes, I also have two....

Durnit, Tub, this was about headlights, coils, and cutaways. Now look what you've done.

At least Gibson gave us a choice of single coil or humbucker, and their Humbuckers were a lot better.

– NJBob

Cute, Bob, but consider this..

1954 saw the birth of the Gretsch Duo Jet (and Silver Jet), the White Falcon, Leo Fender’s Stratocaster, Bill Haley & His Comets record "Rock Around the Clock", Elvis Presley's first single, "That's All Right", the first commercial transistor radio and, most important, me.

Durnit, Tub, this was about headlights, coils, and cutaways. Now look what you've done.

– Proteus

My bad

1958, Jan and Dean’s first recording - they were a duo! (And their record had two sides.)

OK, now we may be getting somewhere. Do we know if the Corvette of "Dead Man's Curve" was a 1958 or later - in which case it would have had the newfangled double-dual headlight configuration?

1958, Jan and Dean’s first recording - they were a duo! (And their record had two sides.)

– nielDa

And the title was -2- words: “Jenny Lee”.

(Am I makin’ a mess again?)

OK, now we may be getting somewhere. Do we know if the Corvette of "Dead Man's Curve" was a 1958 or later - in which case it would have had the newfangled double-dual headlight configuration?

– Proteus

And could there have been a Gretsch Corvette on the recording? (Sincere question this time. Guessing Fenders cozza A.) locale, and B.) I frankly dunno if the Gretsch Corvette even existed yet.)

58 divided by 2

Do this 13 times and you get .007 Coincidence? I think not...

Register Sign in to join the conversation