Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Interesting ‘62 Corvette

NFI.

Notice something different about this Corvette? The neck HiLo is way closer to the neck than standard placement. The routing for the polepieces would have to be on the neck tenon or very close to the joint. Gretsch decided to play it safe on later models and keep the pickup routing on the body rather than the neck.

And it's a '62 due to a) the 3/3 tuners; b) the un-notched bottom end; c) the Waverly strip tuners which were standard on Clippers and Corvette/oids in 1962. More proof that Gretsch would do some experimenting and send those guitars out even if not standard production models.

I was thinking it was a single pickup Corvette that someone added a neck pickup to. (and maybe the Burns)

The pick guard looks new and pretty cheaply cobbled together.

And in 1962 didn't all Corvettes have a single bridge pickup, 3 on a side tuners and no vibrato?

Seller offers to "open it up" to look for a serial number for serious buyers... but the serial number should be stamped into the tip of the headstock.

I was thinking it was a single pickup Corvette that someone added a neck pickup to. (and maybe the Burns)

The pick guard looks new and pretty cheaply cobbled together.

And in 1962 didn't all Corvettes have a single bridge pickup, 3 on a side tuners and no vibrato?

– guitarcapo

Even tho Ed is skeptical any time I cite the Gruhn book, it does state no 2 p/u model until '63, but says (I think) that vibrato was avialble in '62

Even tho Ed is skeptical any time I cite the Gruhn book, it does state no 2 p/u model until '63, but says (I think) that vibrato was avialble in '62

– DCBirdMan

I haven't taken the time to compile the timeline and feature evolutions of the Corvette solid body model(s) of the 1960s. So until I do... feel free to reference Gruhn.

One reason this is a little daunting is that the "stamped" serial numbers on these are all too often illegible so my batch identification will probably never be as definitive as it can be with Gretsch models that employed printed serial numbers. But at some point I'll take a weekend and tackle it, tracking each batch and documenting the feature changes for each model year. Then, and only then will I be able to validate Gruhn's contentions.

I had a slab '61 many moons ago and it had a label on the inside of the control cavity. The s/n information was lost during one of my moves. The cheaply cobbled pickguard is one reason I thought this one was factory, but of course we can never get conclusive with these online findings, to the extent that we can get conclusive about Gretsches at all. The pickguard pattern for single/double pups was different so earlier screw holes would tell if it's a mod.

If only they were 12" radius....

I think the neck pickup was added. And I suspect that the placement of the pickup is the very reason it's had neck work done. Whoever installed it there probably didn't realize that doing so would create problems.

I think the neck pickup was added. And I suspect that the placement of the pickup is the very reason it's had neck work done. Whoever installed it there probably didn't realize that doing so would create problems.

– Afire

Yup, upon reflection I think this is more likely than my initial look. Caveat emptor as always.

Register Sign in to join the conversation