Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Info needed 1955 6022

Need some info from knowledgeable Gretch folks. I have inherited a 1955 Rancher 6022. The guitar has a pick up between the sound hole and the bridge. Do you believe this is original to the guitar or installed later. Looks like a pro install but I can't find any examples of this guitar with a pickup. Any info would help. Thx

Really need pix to even start to make a call on this. Then you will have the info you need.

Need some info from knowledgeable Gretch folks. I have inherited a 1955 Rancher 6022. The guitar has a pick up between the sound hole and the bridge. Do you believe this is original to the guitar or installed later. Looks like a pro install but I can't find any examples of this guitar with a pickup. Any info would help. Thx

– spicyt24

Forgot the pic

If you post a few close-ups of the DeArmond pickup we could tell you if it's vintage or not. Also check underneath to see if it has the long polepieces. What we'd need to see are close-up of the top screws and polepieces, and of the sides of the pickup casing especially where the corners meet. I doubt if Gretsch installed this; for a while they would sell you the more correct DeArmond soundhole pickup and as that has volume adjustment it would be preferable. This will no doubt lessen the value of your Rancher but the alternative is to have a weird hole in front of the bridge; and this may well sound very good plugged in. If you give us the serial number we can nail the date to which batch of '54 or '55 this belongs in.

That's got a lot of coolness about it.

Thanks for the info so far, you guys are awesome...hope these pics help.

What you have is a 1954 Rancher from the second batch made and the last batch of Gretsches to have this early style of blue label. There were 450 Ranchers made in the fifties. The pickup is a vintage DeArmond, but not of the '50's Gretsch Dynasonic variety. This can be seen by the rounder, shallower casing, designed as a neck pickup probably late '50's/early '60's after Gretsch stopped using DeArmonds. Sonically these were identical to '50's units.

I'm really curious as how it sounds plugged in. If it is too trebly, you can turn the pickup around so the polepieces orient to the soundhole. Given that you won't be able to repair the holes, I'd just leave it in unless it adversly impacts the acoustic tone. Great inheritance! Do you have old pictures of the previous owner playing it? Also if you post more pix, we can tell you if parts have been changed. The truss rod cover might be from later.

Geek alert: notice the wide-grain spruce laminate inside and the close-grain spruce lam top.

Thanks for checking it out lx, like on American Pickers...any idea what it's worth?

That's a serious hole. Start the bidding at a thousand and you may get a few bites; it's a buyer's market.

Stringed it up and plugged it in, but all I got was hum from the pickup

Thanks again lx, great info. I think we will keep it as a wall hanger/family momento.

Where's the jack? Any volume control? Interesting little notch in the guard to accommodate the Dyna.

The jack is on the bottom edge in a typical spot (similar to a Les Paul). No volume knob.

It might be worth carefully taking that pickup and jack out to check that the problem is not simply a wire come loose from the jack. If it's that easy then maybe turn the pickup around 180º as suggested by lx. That's what I'd do anyhow.

It might be worth carefully taking that pickup and jack out to check that the problem is not simply a wire come loose from the jack. If it's that easy then maybe turn the pickup around 180º as suggested by lx. That's what I'd do anyhow.

– Doppler

In addition to the wire going from the pickup to the output jack, there should be another wire going to ground (metal part). Theoretically, it should go from either the pickup or the jack to the metal string retainer, which might be held on with screws underneath. It's worth taking to a guitar tech if you're not handy with working on guitars and could be a simple fix.

So this wasn't a new idea...?

– kc_eddie_b

Oh yeah, first thing I thought of! I still wanna hear the DeArmond in the old Rancher!

Register Sign in to join the conversation