Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Identifying a Gretsch guitar

I bought my son a Gretsch guitar but have not give it to him yet and was looking for information on it, the serial number says u8015590 the best I can figure out by serial number it's a 1971 but the U has me confused it does not say made in the US or anything like that just the u at the beginning, I might be misunderstanding how to read the serial numbers if someone could help me out I would appreciate it. Also how do you know the model

Will really need pix to say much. The serial # does not appear to be a vintage era number tho.

The U is ‘Usually’ a fake, UnfortUnately.

I was kind of afraid that it was probably going to mean something like

I was kind of afraid that it was probably going to mean something like

Was there ever pre-FMIC Korean made product contracted to Unsung? There’s ‘90s era Epiphone stuff with U serials to indicate that as a factory, just like P serials indicate Peerless as the manufacturer.

Definitely not a vintage era S/N. Pix will tell the tale. BTW, where did you pick up this guitar?

FYI You can upload photos using the little yellow camera icon above the message box, but it only allows one upload per message, so if you have multiple photos, you'll need to start a separate response message (in this same conversation-- no need to start a new conversation) for each one.

Thanks,I'll send a pic tomorrow

Thanks,I'll send a pic tomorrow

– jones

We'll be very interested to see,and you're certain to get some good information!

Register Sign in to join the conversation