Vintage Gretsch Guitars

I too need radius opinions!!

I am trying to determine the neck radius on my dear ol' 1964 Tennessean. I have the nice stainless steel radius gauges but can't decide what looks the closest 14 degrees or 15 degrees! What is yall's general consensus on an older Gretsch like this? I trust and value all of your experienced opinions!! And I thought all Gretsches were 12's!!!! Silly me!! Steve

I measured the radius of my '66 Tennessean using a dial depth gage. I found it to be 16".

Lee

Dang I thought the flattest necks on old Gretsch guitars had was the 14 of the Corvette/Twist/Princess. I loved my 1966 Tenny and would have never kept it if it was a flatter neck. I thought 16 was functionally flat but I am the one who posted originally about radius and admit I don't know squat, just how things feel.

That being said the short scale Strat I posted a few days ago (post is down now) is the 7.5 vintage style radiius and I don't like that either. I am in the 10 to 12 range best I can tell.

Dang I thought the flattest necks on old Gretsch guitars had was the 14 of the Corvette/Twist/Princess. I loved my 1966 Tenny and would have never kept it if it was a flatter neck. I thought 16 was functionally flat but I am the one who posted originally about radius and admit I don't know squat, just how things feel.

That being said the short scale Strat I posted a few days ago (post is down now) is the 7.5 vintage style radiius and I don't like that either. I am in the 10 to 12 range best I can tell.

I might be wrong, but I think a belt sander and some eyeballing was involved instead of a radius block, I don't think there's a standard fixed radius on Brooklyn Gretsches.

My ´65 Viking radius is 14 according to stewmac radius gauge

Well, I got out the ol' stainless steel radius gauges AGAIN and gave it another look. As weird as it may sound I think the 20 degree looks the closest!!! It went under the strings, shined my little flashlight on both sides, and the 20 seems to fit the "snuggest" of all. I did retest from 12 on up to 20 and allowed for minute wear in the fingerboard and tested at several locations up and down the fret board. Boy, that's almost flat ain't it? Looks flat! I was just hoping somebody out there in Gretsch-land has a Tennessean of about the same year (1964) and could tell what their neck radius is on their guitar. THANKS EVERYBODY for your responses! I sure appreciate all the helpful info! Steve

Register Sign in to join the conversation