Vintage Gretsch Guitars

I bought another old Melita bridge.

This also is an aluminum cast pat. pending model

This one at least has the double thumb wheels which I wanted

The seller described it as good. He wanted $300 but I offered him $200 because I already had one and was only mildy interested and he took it. Initially I was a little pissed. The bridge was fairly well oxidzed and not one moving part. Not really useful as is and definitely not "good."

I let him know I wasn't happy and took to work on it. I hit it with some PB Blast overnight and was able to get a lot of the oxidation off. The thumb wheels were tough because the threads were a bit messed up on the posts and one post spun free in the base. I was able to scrape enough oxidation off the slots to pry the saddles out with a screw driver without breaking any.

A lot of elbow grease, metal polish, scraping etc... and the parts cleaned up nice. I put some super glue on the very base of the post and that seemed to secure it. The seller responded with a "sorry that I didn't agree with his description and asked if I wanted a refund or had suggestions" He then set it up to issue a full refund after I shipped it back. I told him I had too much time invested to just send it back now for a refund and suggested he refund me $50 and I'd keep it.

I'm waiting on a 10-32 die from Amazon to touch up the threads on the posts of the base but its coming along nicely. I never heard back from the seller but am considering giving him not so positive feedback on Reverb.

Overall I don't mind putting the work into it but it should've been reflected in the description and the price. The upside is it will be a pretty decent piece when I'm done.

Cool! I think this is one of the early ones. They had the low screws in the beginning. I used to have one exactly like it but sold it with a guitar it didn't even belong on.....

Seeing this apart really illustrates how many parts and the engineering it took to design those. Pretty cool thread.

Very nice, these are my favorite bridges for hollowbodys now. Must have been a labor of love for you.

I didn’t realize that the original ones had the low screws

Great work! I hope the seller comes through for you.

Great work! I hope the seller comes through for you.

– Jeff H

I think its a bust regarding that. I'm not too concerned about the money its just the integrity of the thing.

I would have been upset too, that was definitely not in good condition. It looks like you have brought that old piece of history back to life, you did a great job. I hope the threads clean up properly.

So is there a difference sonically between any of them? I had a newer one that I tried on my 59 White Falcon(LTV reissue) and on my62 Country Club and I really didn't care for the tone vs. a Bar Bridge.

So is there a difference sonically between any of them? I had a newer one that I tried on my 59 White Falcon(LTV reissue) and on my62 Country Club and I really didn't care for the tone vs. a Bar Bridge.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Hi Don, There's plenty here who could probably answer with opinions regarding the brdiges and saddle material but I don't have any data myself, all mine are sitting on the shelf. Mat Wilson from Emby felt the old aluminum cast bridge was a great contributor to Scotty's sound and modeled his after that design. Of all the saddle materials he offers the bakelite is the most popular. The topic was pretty beat up in this thread here, check it out Link

Jim

The die came today so I hit up the thread posts with it and from the feel of it they needed it. It actually loosened the one with the super glue again but holding the post on either end as I did it allowed me to recut the whole post. I re-glued it again after.

I can't believe the difference in the thumb wheels now, practically zero resistance, even before I re-glued the post. I used a new 10-32 screw first to clean the threads on the wheels which helped a lot (no tap).

Register Sign in to join the conversation