Vintage Gretsch Guitars

I bought a 1960, 6122!

I bought that 1960 6122 from the guy in Canada! Serial # 35126. The only odd thing is the fingerboard with the dots. But it looks like it's been on there decades! He had a Melita bridge on it but I let him keep it and I but on a Tru Arc. I do need to shim up the pickups, clean the fingerboard and re-radius the frets as they're a bit flat. But it is all there and came in a white "Cowboy Case". Paid him $4,500. which seems like a fair price considering the ones I normaly see are in the $8-10k range. I'll get some photos when I'm done. Thanks

Congrats! According to Ed, the '60 model is actually the most popular. Setzer's is actually a '60 so says Ed but was called a '59 for so long it's stuck. A batch from the '60's has a run of a good number with a highly flamed/swirled top, which are considered the best ones of the single cut era. Lookin' forward to pics!

Congrats! According to Ed, the '60 model is actually the most popular. Setzer's is actually a '60 so says Ed but was called a '59 for so long it's stuck. A batch from the '60's has a run of a good number with a highly flamed/swirled top, which are considered the best ones of the single cut era. Lookin' forward to pics!

– Windsordave

Dave... my comments you've mentioned here are associated to the 6120 model. The guitar Don has acquired is a 6122 (Country Gent).

Sure willl! Thanks!

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Any pics while checking this out would be very cool and appreciated.

Congratulations, Don, I can't wait to see some pictures!

Dave... my comments you've mentioned here are associated to the 6120 model. The guitar Don has acquired is a 6122 (Country Gent).

– kc_eddie_b

My bad. Sorry 'bout that Ed. Got my thinkin' twisted around.

Well this price Ed is a far cry from what Anne wanted for her wrong S/N Gent masquerading as #26401.

Well this price Ed is a far cry from what Anne wanted for her wrong S/N Gent masquerading as #26401.

– Windsordave

I wonder where THAT guitar went Dave!

Well, a couple of years after my dealings with Anne and bandying it around here, I knew she still had it as I was contacted by a fellow in her city who'd seen and played it before contacting me and wanted advice regarding whether this would be a good investment. I advised him it wouldn't for the reason we'd discussed and while he went and saw it again to check for things I mentioned to look for, he decided against it. Not that it wasn't all original, it was, but for the price. I seem to think you saw it some time ago on Reverb or Gbase and mentioned it here but I think that was after I'd conferred with this other fellow. Does beg the question though as to where it is today as this was indeed a very nice guitar....and had the wider fingerboard to boot!

Cool project Don! You mention a Gent sized cowboy case, I’d love to see pics of that as well!

Don, congrats. Sounds like a great guitar you bought!

The Gent! I guess my photo files are too big.. I don’t know how to make the photos smaller!

Register Sign in to join the conversation