Vintage Gretsch Guitars

hypothetical p/u shootout

All my guitars have vintage filtertrons 3 PAF's and a Blank.

let's say i go after another custom axe...

what's a cool vintage p/u to have in the bridge?

i don't really do dynas (or single coils in general)...but I do love the music of Big Lazy

whatta you think, gang?

If you're posting in the vintage section, then I guess you're thinking vintage. If single coils are out, that pretty much leaves the SuperTron. I've only ever had one in the neck of a '60s Gent, and rarely used it. A lot of people love them.

In the video he's playing a Dyna Jet and it sure sounds like one. If you want to try something modern I highly recommend TVJones' Magnatron. It's advertised as a humbucking Dynasonic and it lives up to the hype and partners wonderfully with any Filtertron. Thanks for posting the video; I've heard the name but hadn't checked them out yet--I'll be listening to a lot more.

After hearing various clips of you playing I think you already found your bridge pickup with the vintage Filtertrons. I'm not sure what you're asking for. DeArmond Gold Foils maybe? That's not your tone.

If you are open to single coils then vintage DeArmonds, P90s and HiloTrons all would be worth checking out.

I think you should wait until you are born again in the blessed certainty of single coiled bliss.

And then go dyna or P90.

Buddy! thanks! I was just wondering, about different options. I'm hard pressed to change my plan only because PAFs sound so awesome (plus i'm really starting to feel like they're "my" sound...which is cool)....

I was just wondering about other options people have enjoyed from the same era.

(obviously, vintage)

I think you should wait until you are born again in the blessed certainty of single coiled bliss.

And then go dyna or P90.

– Nick45

This. Although to me, with DeArmonds, the magic is "both pickups on" on a twin pickup guitar.

But definitely, single coil pickups.

And then go dyna or P90.

– Nick45

This. Although to me, with DeArmonds, the magic is "both pickups on" on a twin pickup guitar.

But definitely, single coil pickups.

Well, if you like humbuckers and don't go for single coils I'd still say a P90. Just because they are the coolest pick ups in the world..... ; )
They sound fatter than what most people consider the single coil sound and can push an amp very nicely. Anything from jazz to hard rock can sound great with P90s.

So far there are some really convincing voices for P90...Does anyone have any examples of a gretsch with a P90 in the bridge?

If I do another vintage custom I'm not gonna do a 2 pick-up version, so I suppose DeArmonds are out!

haha! of course!

buuuut...that aint a p-90 in the bridge correct?

haha! of course!

– Buddy Mercury

(Shawn is a GDP member.)

I have to second the Lx-cellent suggestion of a Magnatron. A humbucker that really does twang, just a hint of Filtertron compression and zero extraneous noise.

It's like a Telecaster has gone on serious weight training.

Eddie backstage at the Glasgow Empire, always fantastic to see that one.

haha! of course!

– Buddy Mercury

Billy Zoom has a Dyna neck and Kent Armstong bridge P90 on his modern '59 Gent. You can hear him (sorta) playing the solo for Dancing with Tears in My Eyes here.

Buddy I think it’s about time you have a guitar with Gibson Alnico 5 Staple pickups. After market Gibson’s aren’t sold but Duncan make some based on the original. You know Scotty Moore’s sound but here it is live.

I love the bite and edge of those pickups. Kind of like Dynas but rawer and more edge in my opinion.

ThePolecats, you must be some kind of wizard. I never would have thought a triple-post within a single post possible, yet there it is.

ThePolecats, you must be some kind of wizard. I never would have thought a triple-post within a single post possible, yet there it is.

– Afire

I didn’t notice. Internet glitch.

Edit : I edited it.

Don't forget that there are two SupertTrons: single bladed for "jazz", and multi-lam blade for "rock."

these are awesome recommendations. I'm so tempted!

...mostly because PAF's are so darned hard to find!

Nice Magnatron/Supertron blend

Agree with lx and ade on the Magnatron. I found this video some time ago and wound up doing a Pro Jet with the same combination (and an aluminum TruArc of course : ) I have a nice Tele with Fralin overwound pickups and the Magna Jet bridge position has all of the twang and then some additional chime and spank. Lots of different possibilities and the lovely blend with the Supertron is very pleasing. Hats off to the poster of the video for the great performance (Nocturne Brain approved : )

TV Jones has some "Quirky Combination" videos on youtube. Not totally vintage but certainly inspired. We tried some at the last Euro Roundup in his swap guitar. We couldn't find a bad combination. But some will sound more like what you want.

P13

– charlie chitlins

Now you're talking! They sound amazing. On Shuggie's advice I put one in the neck position of my 1960 Hofner Club 40.

a P13...now that's somethin you dont see every day...and it kinda has the same profile as a filtertron.

Register Sign in to join the conversation