Vintage Gretsch Guitars

How Many Singlecut Gents did Gretsch make in 59-61?

So in about 4-5 months I have some royalties coming and will be looking for a few guitars. One I want to buy will be a single cut 6122 made between 1959 to 1961 as ever since I played one that was Stills’ back in 1970/71 I wanted one. I’m guessing my thin body, single cut Country Club is very much like the Gent’s. But I want the sealed body, Trestle Bracing, nitro-lacquer, assembled with Hide Glue, not the modern version as those don’t sing like the old ones.. About how many were made before the decent into the double cutaway version? I’ve owned a couple of double cuts and don’t really want the double cut. Thanks guys!

According to my handy dandy Gretsch decoder ring (get one -- it's swell!) there were 250 of the '59 model year. No figures yet for '60-1 until his next book. Isn't the '58 version also a thin line?

According to my handy dandy Gretsch decoder ring (get one -- it's swell!) there were 250 of the '59 model year. No figures yet for '60-1 until his next book. Isn't the '58 version also a thin line?

– lx

IIRC, yes.

I'm not near my data, and won't be for a few days... but a quick check from an older version of my research reveals:

'58 - 2 batches of 50 each, '59 - 3 batches of 50 each, '60 - 2 batches of 100 each, '61 - 1 batch of 100

Aprox. 450 single cut Country Gents produced.

I'm not near my data, and won't be for a few days... but a quick check from an older version of my research reveals:

'58 - 2 batches of 50 each, '59 - 3 batches of 50 each, '60 - 2 batches of 100 each, '61 - 1 batch of 100

Aprox. 450 single cut Country Gents produced.

– kc_eddie_b

So, do I have this right?:

'58: 100

'59: 150

'60: 200

'61: 100

This would amount to a total 550, no?

I'm a bit surprised that there were that many produced in '61 as compared to the previous years. From all the examples I've come across while following the online market, forum posts, etc, I would have thought that '61's were fewer in number than that. But I don't know, and don't mean to challenge you, Ed. Just a gut feeling I've had for awhile. It could be that some I've seen which were identified as '60 models were actually '61's (knowing that the mis-identifaction of model years is quite common out there in guitar land). That might help to explain things. I wonder if Afire has any thoughts about this...

Sorry about the math... I'm suffering Jet lag, so all bets are off until I recover from that and get back to my master database in a couple days.

Here are the batches: '58 = 264xx and 278xx, '59 = 293xx, 304xx, and 314xx, '60 = 351xx, 369xx, and '61 is 417xx.

If I recall correctly from previous threads on this model, there were long and short scale batches, as well as a mixture of 1.75" and 1.68" nut widths. Is there any way to sort that stuff out?

Seem to remember that roughly the first 10 or 15 had long scale (remember the Gent evolved from the Country Club) necks and a mixture of no f-hole tops and inlayed plastic f-hole tops. I believe mine was one of the first that had all the features that would become standard for the Gent, but I think there are still some unaccounted for. Speculation of course, but we did a mini survey on one of the old Gent threads.

If I recall correctly from previous threads on this model, there were long and short scale batches, as well as a mixture of 1.75" and 1.68" nut widths. Is there any way to sort that stuff out?

– Caliban335

I can't help with that level of granularity.

I can't help with that level of granularity.

– kc_eddie_b

Zen level of Gretsch Guru.

Both my Country Club’s are 25.5” scale. The ‘64 has wider neck that’s also flatter than my ‘62, but the ‘62 sounds better with the Trestle Bracing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation