Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Highly Suspect 1955 Roundup on Reverb

Bell shaped truss rod cover instead of the bullet that it should have. The finish on the headstock shows no yellowing. Obviously a new nut. And the big one, of course, is the lack of inlay engravings, as well as the inlays themselves not being the right material.

As I'm prone to make wild guesses, here's one possibility. Remember a few years back, a guy showed up with a Roundup but the neck was toast. Stephen, maybe? He built a new one from scratch. I could be making this up, but I think Herve may have supplied a logo and steer's head. I don't remember exactly how it turned out, or whether he did cows and cacti on the inlays, but I'm wondering if this may be that same guitar? He was a nice guy and did a great job documenting the work, so if it is the same guitar, I'm sure he wasn't the one to represent it as all original. But you know how it goes. Someone downstream decides to get greedy.

Of course, the other possibility is it's a different guitar, original neck with some work done for whatever reason. I can't find the reneck thread and the serial number doesn't turn up any results. I think it was post-crash, but maybe not.

Definite fingerboard foolishness at the least. I think the renecked one we saw documented here, I remember the guy used a different shape truss rod cover that wasn't a bullet or the one pictured here?

Gretsch headstock logo looks sloppy enough though to be Brooklyn, especially where the c nearly encroaches into the right side of the T roof.

I really don't remember the details well enough. I'm really not even sure about the Herve connection. That may have been a completely different guitar, or not even Herve at all (though I think he did do a steer at some point?).

Ed? Does that serial number turn up in your records? I'd imagine that thread would have prompted you to make some notes. Any chance you can confirm or dispel that this is that guitar?

Gretsch headstock logo looks sloppy enough though to be Brooklyn, especially where the c nearly encroaches into the right side of the T roof.

– RichB555

I agree. The logo looks right. And I think it's a longshot that this is the same guitar. But there aren't a ton of original roundups, and we know of one that had a neck recently fabricated, so IMO, it's worthwhile to inquire whether it might be the same one.

And shame on me for following the seller's description identifying this as a '55.

Checked the database. Not the same guitar.

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

This one is 13967. That one was 13143.

The thread is gone, but here are the database entry notes:

Neck was severely broken. We saved the original head veneer including the longhorns. We also saved the fingerboard though the 7th and 9th fret inlays were replaced by non-matching plastic. The new neck has been made and all work done is documented here on the thread "A Roundup Revival" located in the Vintage Gretsch Guitars forum. Tension rod cover plate is triangular in shape. original holes in head veneer match the plate.

So, probably just a new nut, replaced board or inlays, and newer clear coat on the headstock face at the very least.

I suppose I could have sussed that out before posting in the first place rather than posting eight times like a dingbat.

It's from a legit batch of Roundups and I strongly suspect it has the neck work Afire mentions above.

Something further to consider...

Well, that is a whole bunch of weird. No other holes - as it should have for the smaller trc - since it's from 1954, third batch of Roundups. Possibly a factory pre-58 reneck since we don't see the neck lock/heel dowel. Am I seeing a headstock veneer over an older veneer? They sent you this picture? The price they're asking is over the top; they need to post more pics if they're serious about selling it.

Oh yeah, that truss rod cover looks way too new.

I don't know truss rods well enough to say exactly what I'm looking at, but it definitely isn't a '54 truss rod. If it's not a reneck, then at the very least, the board has been off and the truss rod replaced at some point.

Good catch. '54 and earlier truss rods have the square bolt design -- some '55's too. This is the later seen version.

Maybe. Re-read the ad and the thread, it's now corrected.

I really don't remember the details well enough. I'm really not even sure about the Herve connection. That may have been a completely different guitar, or not even Herve at all (though I think he did do a steer at some point?).

Ed? Does that serial number turn up in your records? I'd imagine that thread would have prompted you to make some notes. Any chance you can confirm or dispel that this is that guitar?

– Afire

Serial number is previously undocumented (by me at least) but falls into legit batch of '54 Roundups. Appears to me to be a re-neck with a circa '56 model year neck (explaining the truss rod cover and un-engraved inlays). Original pick guard on it's way to oblivion. Dumb price for what it is... but she is a 50s Roundup.

3 lines of description, and 17,000.00? Do they meter by the word, or what? Do people BUY from listings like that?

I'm not fond of Reverb's picture format, either. Can't blow'em big enough for critical inspection.

Askin' and gettin' are two famously different things. I sold a truly sweet J-45ADJ for a friend of mine in June; people asking 2,000.00 - 3,000.00 all over the internet. It sold for 1,200.00.

Good question Tim. My question is, don't they have the brains to do a thorough research for a guitar they put this price tag on? Or perhaps they have the brains and realized the re-neck issue and beat down the price they bought it for but on re-selling it, conveniently forgot to mention this. Wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, I dunno. I just have more respect for money than to ask people to part with sigificant sums without spilling enough words first.

But I suppose that's obvious.

You guys are too hard on the seller. Didn't you notice the three strings on it? That's halfway to a fully strung guitar and as far as I can tell, they're not even charging extra for the effort.

Wouldn't you say that the re-neck using non-original features cuts the asking price by a minimum of at least half? As we've kicked around here at different times when it comes to asking top dollar for this ilk vintage guitar, originality is everything.

Stephen Saqui was the fellow who made that new neck, Afire. The data fire did not extend to my memory...

Register Sign in to join the conversation