Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Hey Rambler dudes

I sort of miss having an old Gretsch but really short scale is my reality until I put the guitar down for the last time. So there is the 23" scale Rambler.

Years back I got one of Dr. Milktrucks's nice ones but it didn't stay long since that was my no-narrow-necks phase and I wasn't all about short scale then

So I could see maybe having one except I am a two pickup guy-- but would not hack an original one no way. Now if one came along say hacked with a bad hillbilly refin that's different --although pretty unlikely since hollowbodies are refinished way less than solidbodies.

But my question is to whoever knows construction, bracing etc. were those made in a way where where a bridge pickup could be added (by someone who knows what they are doing) in a way that would not compromise the structural integrity of the guitar..?

You could add a second pickup. Under the bridge area is an "island" of unrouted maple about 3" square - Ramblers have maple bodies. You might have to cut into the island but there would be no loss of structural integrity. The one I had was essentially a beater husk, with a narrow Jet headstock with real inlay. The trick would be with a pickup selector switch: the upper bout and cutaway bout are solid wood. I put a moustache Dearmond in and it was a real screamer.

I sort of miss having an old Gretsch but really short scale is my reality until I put the guitar down for the last time. So there is the 23" scale Rambler.

Years back I got one of Dr. Milktrucks's nice ones but it didn't stay long since that was my no-narrow-necks phase and I wasn't all about short scale then

So I could see maybe having one except I am a two pickup guy-- but would not hack an original one no way. Now if one came along say hacked with a bad hillbilly refin that's different --although pretty unlikely since hollowbodies are refinished way less than solidbodies.

But my question is to whoever knows construction, bracing etc. were those made in a way where where a bridge pickup could be added (by someone who knows what they are doing) in a way that would not compromise the structural integrity of the guitar..?

– DCBirdMan

I did add a bridge pickup to the one I sold you, Bob. (Of course it turned out it was probably the prototype and I may have ruined a rare guitar! ) There was no problem putting one in and it worked very well, made it a much more versatile guitar. Adding a Bigsby is a successful option too. (I never did that, but at least one I owned had one when I got it.)

I did add a bridge pickup to the one I sold you, Bob. (Of course it turned out it was probably the prototype and I may have ruined a rare guitar! ) There was no problem putting one in and it worked very well, made it a much more versatile guitar. Adding a Bigsby is a successful option too. (I never did that, but at least one I owned had one when I got it.)

– drmilktruck

Was this the sunburst one with the segmented f-holes?

Was this the sunburst one with the segmented f-holes?

– lx

Yes. The confusing thing was the serial number on the label was from 1956 or something, but the guy you sold it to, looked inside and found information suggesting it was a prototype. The serial number was probably when it was sold, not when it was made.

Yes, the right one came along too early. I just wasn't ready yet.

The guy who got it then was all excited about it and it went to a more appreciative owner than I was at the time. It's all different now.

Still good to know that a second pickup could be done.

Question now is... if a original finish one turned up as stripped body, (the work of Parts Weasels or that husk dude down in Florida) would be that be allowed to get a 2nd pickup...

Yes, the right one came along too early. I just wasn't ready yet.

The guy who got it then was all excited about it and it went to a more appreciative owner than I was at the time. It's all different now.

Still good to know that a second pickup could be done.

Question now is... if a original finish one turned up as stripped body, (the work of Parts Weasels or that husk dude down in Florida) would be that be allowed to get a 2nd pickup...

– DCBirdMan

That's be the perfect Rambler for a second pickup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation