Vintage Gretsch Guitars

hey Bigsby arm dudes / experts

My Bigsby days are past -- so was going to do these on the bay... is this Chet arm a little shorter than most? It's 5.5" and hadn't seen it in a while and it looked small.

Also listing a true mutant -- what may be world's only fully shortened Merle arm. I liked the Merle vibe but like for many others, just too long so I had it shortened and plated again. This was back when I had a larger amount of disposable income. It's now just a shade over 8. How long are the stock ones? Anyone have one around to measure?

I may want that straight Chet arm if you are selling. I’ll come see it. I’m not sure I like the weird twist in the newer ones.

Now you know -- crazed Merle arm next to go.

I may want that straight Chet arm if you are selling. I’ll come see it. I’m not sure I like the weird twist in the newer ones.

– Bob Howard

You'll like it Bob! I have one of the older, straight ones and it's on my SC. I have a newer, extra bend ones on my Gibson Gent and it works there but not so much on the SC.

So this clears up a huge mystery for me and Bob Howard... older ones were flat.

Dave, you are right! I like it. Seems like an odd bend shape, but it is much more comfortable. Now to remove the gold plate.

Doesn’t it look like someone was adding more extreme bends to shorten the overall length?

Looks weird to me but it is comfortable so it stays...for now.

Kool shortened Merle arm: $35, less than the work cost.

Register Sign in to join the conversation