Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Here ya go Gretsch detectives!

Periodically I'm contacted by people who have questions about their "family" Gretsch guitar. Typically I get a photo that allows me to authenticate the model and vintage, and provide the new owner with a sense of collectibility and/or value.

In this case however, the ask was a bit more challenging. Here was the initial submission...

From the first image I surmised that although it's a pretty blurry photo that it appeared to be a Synchromatic headstock. The second clue then arrived...

So what do ya'll think it is (model and vintage)?

Looks like it has a dogear P90 in the second picture.

Based on the body thickness, pickup & placement, headstock and inlays I am am 100% confident that I have no idea.

Full binding including f holes, but shouldn't the pickup be closer to the neck? Upper end model.

Full binding including f holes, but shouldn't the pickup be closer to the neck? Upper end model.

In the second photo there appears to be a knob placed very close to the sound hole near the child's left arm.

I’d go with Crowbone but the logo in the very blurry, distorted first pic looks too long across, short top to bottom to be a script and is almost certainly not a T roof logo. So I’ll go with a rebrand of crow’s guess

Never mind just remembered the G tailpiece in the other pic so I’ll just go all in with crow.

Never mind just remembered the G tailpiece in the other pic so I’ll just go all in with crow.

– 66gent

Tailpieces are easily replaced.

More fodder to chew on for the mystery.

It really does look like a 50's Synchromatic, with a dogear P-90 added. It's in a similar placement as Gibson did, and a likely position for a modification. It does look like a volume knob a has been added as well. The letters of the brand name, appear to be rather short, but it's difficult to tell in that blurry photo.

I think this was Bigfoot's guitar, judging by the camera's focus.

I'm with CB: (pre)/Constellation, early 50's. I think I see Imperials in the first pic; not standard for a Constellation? Does the fretboard end have that divot that indicates the early truss-rod? I would think Bigfoot is more of a Kay guy....

You guys made more head-way than I thought you would. Well done! So a few days after providing me with the initial pix, the current owner of this guitar found some other more clear images... with him (as a 3 year old) playing with it. These images were also captured prior to the pickup being added. All should be clear now.

Yay! Crowbone!

All that I could think of was the guy in the original pic looked like an entertainer from the 50's and I can't remember his name.

That's a sweet guitar.

Yay! Crowbone!

All that I could think of was the guy in the original pic looked like an entertainer from the 50's and I can't remember his name.

That's a sweet guitar.

– Suprdave

He's kind of got a Wayne Newton vibe going.

As evidenced by the 'hand-catcher' style cutaway in the money shot, it puts it in the earlyish '50's. The nice Art Deco base of earlier models is long gone in favor of the straight across version but it does have binding on the f-holes, an upgrade. Looks better to me as an acoustic, but still a nice example from that era.

I've been celebrating ever since I found out I've won...a fabulous prize?

From Italy?

Is it Fra-Geel-Lay?

I've been celebrating ever since I found out I've won...a fabulous prize?

From Italy?

Is it Fra-Geel-Lay?

– crowbone

A major award

Hopefully no "Ooops" from the wife.

Register Sign in to join the conversation