Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Here he goes again…….

Is anyone fool enough to go for it?

The Japanese Dudes are still at it, with $7k Tennesseans, etc.

Well those are the rarest Gretsch guitars in the world. Those actual guitars. y'know.

Someone fill me in on what's going on here.

Someone fill me in on what's going on here.

– Bear

The seller, bettysrecords, formerly known as bevete, is a notorious ne'er-do-well of the vintage Gretsch world. His listings often include guitars of questionable authenticiy, and his decriptions often contain outlandish claims. And the prices are always ridiculous. Not Fretted Americana or Gary's shockingly high, but truly absurd.

That said, he has certainly offered some very nice guitars. That pre-war Synchromatic 160 is gorgeous.

that first one is legit breathtaking beautiful...

I'd like to be his insurance agent. Guitars of such extreme value must be covered... right?

Isn't that the Penguin he at one point was offering to ship with it's neck removed?!

Could've been, I don't really recall. Price aside, I find one thing particularly laughable with this guitar. You see 3K guitars on eBay with 30 close up pics and this one with shots of it in a case!

The seller, bettysrecords, formerly known as bevete, is a notorious ne'er-do-well of the vintage Gretsch world. His listings often include guitars of questionable authenticiy, and his decriptions often contain outlandish claims. And the prices are always ridiculous. Not Fretted Americana or Gary's shockingly high, but truly absurd.

That said, he has certainly offered some very nice guitars. That pre-war Synchromatic 160 is gorgeous.

– Afire

Thank you. I thought the pricing seemed high, but not really looking at many vintage guitars I wasn't sure.

Awhile ago he had a Gretsch acoustic for an absurd price claiming Fred Gretsch made it in his basement prior to the resumption of Gretsch production in the late '80's. That story was probably one of if not his most outrageous.

I think the best one is his 'vintage dearmond' at $865.00 - I think it is a Dearmond 2000 - I do hope no body gets burned by this guy as he is flat out lying about this pickup - What is with EBay? They are so hungry for posting fees that they ignore the number of complaints this clown gets?

A long while ago, I asked him a question about one of his Auctions (as a Newbie), which literally started an avalanche of offers and enticements and emails to buy whatever it was at the time.....gotta say, his follow up is very very strong, He is seriously out to make a killing, I must have had 10-15 follow ups including offers from one question..... Buyer Beware

I think the best one is his 'vintage dearmond' at $865.00 - I think it is a Dearmond 2000 - I do hope no body gets burned by this guy as he is flat out lying about this pickup - What is with EBay? They are so hungry for posting fees that they ignore the number of complaints this clown gets?

– Gretschbo

Yep, I saw that one the other day. Looks like a DeArmond 2000 (Fender) to me too. Who would have guessed that a DeArmond 2000 would be worth $3000 in ten years. LOL

A long while ago, I asked him a question about one of his Auctions (as a Newbie), which literally started an avalanche of offers and enticements and emails to buy whatever it was at the time.....gotta say, his follow up is very very strong, He is seriously out to make a killing, I must have had 10-15 follow ups including offers from one question..... Buyer Beware

– 949Norm

A year or so ago I wrote to him about one of his shyster deals on a dubious guitar - can't even remember which one now, not that it matters - pointing out all the issues between what the guitar had and was compared to the total bullshit he was spewing in his mish-mashed poor grammer description. Called him what he is too and oddly, he took offense to this....go figure!

I just love the way he mangles the English language. It's tricky to say which bit I like best but today's fave is "We sell with a firm terms" - I kinda want one of those 'firm terms', do they help with vibrato?

I've always thought this one sets the gold standard of BS and misinformation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLA...

It's a renecked Synchromatic 300, not an original custom order. And back when he had clearer pics, you could tell that it has had plenty of other work done, electronics removed, etc.

That said, I think it's a cool guitar. And I don't doubt that's a factory neck, and an interesting choice for whoever had the neck replaced. Just not original. It's too bad he lacks the capacity/integrity to accurately describe it and set an appropriate price.

That's thee shame with all of these guitars. Most of them are very cool, even the ones with issues. They're just captives of a mad man.

Call me activist, but, in the most polite way I could, I used the "send a question to the seller " button to let him know he should include serial numbers of all these offerings,because anyone who would pay his ridiculous prices would first use the serial number database to verify authenticity. I also told him many collectors on at least two continents are currently ridiculing his offerings for entertainment and suggested he should perhaps shape his sh*t up or I would continue to mock him in a ridiculous accent.

LOL, So here's the rest of the story, I got a reply today.

flyneye wrote: Perhaps you should include serial numbers for your offerings and claims.

You see, the demographic buyers for your"Gretsch's" can verify the authenticity of your claim using the Gretsch serial number records. Even factory "one-offs" have a traceable serial number. Currently Two forums serving the U.S. and Europe as well as others mock your fantastic and incredible claims for entertainment. Even if you are fishing for buyers who would pay your untenable prices, they would verify authenticity first. Otherwise you are farting in the wind and making yourself bait for laughter. For example, your Gretsch Corvette body with filtertron pickup are listed at above $900 while other sellers list the same with necks at around $450 in far better shape than your ridiculous offerings. On the other hand, keep it up, we love the silly things you say and the inaccurate claims you make.

Bettysrecords wrote: YES

that comes in yellow

I wrote something along the same lines around a year ago and his reply was that he was glad I wrote so he could block any emails from me. He's a shyster by any measure. It's a shame he has any guitars at all. I'd like to see them in the hands of people who could appreciate them and in some cases either unmod them if possible, or touch them up and enjoy them.

You could fertilize roses with his claims.

I have long since lost any sleep over bevete's auctions. Same old story, just a different guitar

It isn't that Bevete's delusional auctions aren't funny anymore; it's just that we already know the jokes.

Paul/FF909

Is this the White penguin dude that has the serial number of a corvette?

Register Sign in to join the conversation