Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Help me ID this Gretsch please!

Hi Gretsch Gurus,

I received a beautiful and old Gretsch but I am not sure what model it is and from what year. I am confused about the converting the serial number to the vintage so am asking for your help. The guitar is a project guitar as the bridge and pickups are not original. The serial number is 78389 and is only located inside the F hole on the sticker; it is not stamped in the headstock. Any help bothers? Thx!

I'm pretty confident that your guitar is a 1966 mode year Country Club (6192). The first 50 or so guitars made in the #783xx batch were Anniversary models (16" electric archtops). But then the second half, as well as the first half of the #784xx batch, are all Country Clubs (17" electric archtops) of which some reflect the return of the deeper body spec and elimination of the mute apparatus.

I'm pretty confident that your guitar is a 1966 mode year Country Club (6192). The first 50 or so guitars made in the #783xx batch were Anniversary models (16" electric archtops). But then the second half, as well as the first half of the #784xx batch, are all Country Clubs (17" electric archtops) of which some reflect the return of the deeper body spec and elimination of the mute apparatus.

– kc_eddie_b

Thank you KC! Yes ... the body is wider and deeper than an Anniversary model. And with the 783XXX serial number your “second half of the batch” would make sense. Any thoughts on why it would not be a 1965? Too many nuances in ID’ing for a rookie like me. Thanks Gretsch Bro!

Check the date codes on your pots... Good chance they are Nov. '65 or later. Also, the advent of new features in this batch are usually an indication of new model year guitars.

A picture of the front might generate more comments, if you're wondering about anything else.

Register Sign in to join the conversation