Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Help Identifying Real or Fake “’ ‘58 6120”

Never once seen a label with the serial number typeset looking like that, faked label? Also the thin neck lam stripe points to 60's.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Having owned several vintage Annie's and a '59 Tennessean, I usually consider myself pretty "in the loop" on vintage Gretsch appointments. This guitar was in another state and I had no way of getting my hands on it in person. The serial label font and number were what initially tipped me off but felt I'd be better served asking for a little assistance. I contacted the seller with my thoughts and concerns and decided to walk away. He swears up and down it's a 6120. I'm convinced it's not.

As our humble group as already surmised, this in not an authentic '58 6120. The #298xx batch is in fact part of a huge 300 guitar batch of Anniversary models. With the forged label, I wouldn't put any relevance in the serial number. The last group of Streamliners was produced at batch #281xx.

Sometimes when one buyer gets taken in and spends way to much on a fake, he later learns it's as much and wants to get his money back so he perpetuates the fraud using caveat emptor as his reasoning. This seller now knows for certain he doesn't have a true 6120 but a conversion. If got taken originally, that's sad but you educated him and in the process didn't get burned yourself. A tip 'o the hat to you sir for seeking advice here.

When you do find a nice vintage Gretsch, be sure to report back here with pics!!

Just curious, does your search have to be for a 6120 vintage or otherwise or is it a vintage hollowbody in general you're after and this one popped up on your radar?

Sometimes when one buyer gets taken in and spends way to much on a fake, he later learns it's as much and wants to get his money back so he perpetuates the fraud using caveat emptor as his reasoning. This seller now knows for certain he doesn't have a true 6120 but a conversion. If got taken originally, that's sad but you educated him and in the process didn't get burned yourself. A tip 'o the hat to you sir for seeking advice here.

When you do find a nice vintage Gretsch, be sure to report back here with pics!!

Just curious, does your search have to be for a 6120 vintage or otherwise or is it a vintage hollowbody in general you're after and this one popped up on your radar?

– Windsordave

Thanks Windsordave, the '57/early '58 6120 has been a holy grail guitar of mine forever. Stumbling upon this one, and being sold as a "player grade" vintage 6120, I initially just thought, yep this is the only way I'll be able to afford one. I got my hopes up but had my doubts after my first interaction with the seller. So, to answer your question, no it doesn't have to be a 6120, this was just a holy grail type thing for me personally. I've been a DeArmond guy for most of my life with the occasional filtertron or hi-lo tron equipped Gretsch passing through my hands every so often. I love most models of the '57-'59 Gretsch offerings. I'd actually really love a Rambler...have wanted one for a long time...the 3/4 kind of scares me off though. I sold my '59 Tennessean a couple years ago and wish I never had. It was the best guitar I'd ever owned. There was something about the single filtertron and that trestle bracing! I may start looking for another. I've looked at a couple of Guild starfire II's with DeArmonds as well. We will see what I come up with, I'll update you all with my decision. Again, I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to help me with this whole ordeal:)

As our humble group as already surmised, this in not an authentic '58 6120. The #298xx batch is in fact part of a huge 300 guitar batch of Anniversary models. With the forged label, I wouldn't put any relevance in the serial number. The last group of Streamliners was produced at batch #281xx.

– kc_eddie_b

Thank you very much!

Just a thought: if you're fond of orange Gretsches but not particularly the current or recent crop of 6120's there's always the Hall of Fame Country Gent. It's the 6120 shade of orange with closed f-holes that have a white painted binding. It's recent and very limited production and identical to the 6122-59, save for the color. Oh, and both have the 1.75" wide nut at the zero fret.

These don't appear for sale very often but they don't go for a premium price. I looked for one years ago after failing to find a near mint vintage '72 Gretsch Super Chet that had the wider neck. Couldn't locate one of these so the only other choice were these two Country Gents and I didn't want the walnut version. One wasn't available anywhere and then I did find the SC I wanted so got that. Shortly after that, a few of the HOF's came on the market.

Just a thought: if you're fond of orange Gretsches but not particularly the current or recent crop of 6120's there's always the Hall of Fame Country Gent. It's the 6120 shade of orange with closed f-holes that have a white painted binding. It's recent and very limited production and identical to the 6122-59, save for the color. Oh, and both have the 1.75" wide nut at the zero fret.

These don't appear for sale very often but they don't go for a premium price. I looked for one years ago after failing to find a near mint vintage '72 Gretsch Super Chet that had the wider neck. Couldn't locate one of these so the only other choice were these two Country Gents and I didn't want the walnut version. One wasn't available anywhere and then I did find the SC I wanted so got that. Shortly after that, a few of the HOF's came on the market.

– Windsordave

That model sounds pretty appealing, I'm familiar with it but never played one. I have played many a 6122-59 and always liked them a lot.

hitone59... just sent you a PM.

Register Sign in to join the conversation