Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Help Identifying Real or Fake “’ ‘58 6120”

Hi folks, longtime lurker. Just joined to see if any of you might be able to help me figure out if this is in fact a real 6120 or someone's attempt at converting a streamliner or other model into a 6120. I'm thinking about buying this and there are definitely things that make me skeptical. The serial is 289xxx which, according to Edward Ball, isn't listed as a batch group at all in his book. That's one concern. The guitar, from my understanding has been refinished and the tuners aren't original and there's an extra hole beneath the neck DeArmond. I'm pretty sure the neck's been reset which doesn't bother me. Anyway, my main concern is the serial number. I've been really thankful for this place over the years. You all are a wealth of knowledge. Any information anyone might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to figure out how to upload photos.

A better photo of the label would be helpful but from here, the serial number font looks wrong. Placement of the knobs and switch seem off, too. Tread very carefully...

Could this be a heavily modded later 60s Annie (see bound fingerboard) with widened pu cavities, non-original Dynas, pickguard, bridge, base, Bigsby plus refinish? What does the headstock look like?

F hole shaping looks weird for a 6120 but what do I know

Hi, I had one. It had a brass nut like the 57's. Pickup controls were like the 59..not the 57. I do not think this is a '58 6120.

Hi, I had one. It had a brass nut like the 57's. Pickup controls were like the 59..not the 57. I do not think this is a '58 6120.

– Bigsbyslur

Bigsbyslur, do you think it's a different model altogether? Thanks

Looks like a conversion to me but wait for Ed Ball to chime in before buying or not!

Looks like a conversion to me but wait for Ed Ball to chime in before buying or not!

– gretschcrush

That would be amazing

The bridge pickup position looks weird

A gretsch--yes

6120--No

Conversion of some sort

Mhhh. I can smell burning....

If it's a Streamliner conversion check by the Bigsby Tailpiece for the big hole where the the strap plug used to be. The knob placement is all wrong. I'm betting on a slightly botched Streamliner but the hole will tell all. Pickguard and routing is off too. Sixties Annie will be only 2.5" thick. Converting unbound Annie f-holes is a difficult process. More pics will help.

Yep, it's a cobbled Streamliner. Why don't these guys take the time to get the pickup spacing and job placement right??

Well guys I appreciate all of your help. You've all pretty much confirmed my suspicions and I'm inclined at this point to walk away from this sale. I'd rather spend $4K on something that's not as up in the air as this.

Just offer him what's appropriate and tell him what it really is.

He might not know.

according to the "Ball's Manual of Gretsch", 289xx is a batch on 1958 Anniversaries.

So you got your answer ;)

For 4k, get a Country Club and be in the same ballpark!

according to the "Ball's Manual of Gretsch", 289xx is a batch on 1958 Anniversaries.

So you got your answer ;)

– Hepkat67

Hepkat67, thank you!

For 4k, get a Country Club and be in the same ballpark!

– charlie chitlins

For $4k you'll be in a better Club with a Country Club. Most CC's I've seen & played are built very well.

Welcome to all things Gretsch Hitone! Glad you finally joined up!

The price is also a tip off too. If this guitar was the genuine article it would priced a good bit higher. Remember the old adage: "If it appears to be too good to be true, it probably is." As others have already pointed out, you can get some pretty good vintages Gretsches for 4K.

It doesn't even look like a '58 Anniversary conversion. Unless my eyes deceive me, that doesn't look like a FilterTron route. Whatever it is, it's not a 6120. And, you could do a whole lot better for $4000 (or in some cases, considerably less). If DeArmonds are a must, a Country Club or a Streamliner with or without an added bridge pickup, a Duo Jet. Or if FilterTrons work for you too, add to the list an honest and unmodified '59-'59 Double Anniversary, or '59-'61 6119.

Register Sign in to join the conversation