Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Has this one been discussed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLA...

Apologies if this is old news. I tried to find any existing topic about this, but didn't find anything.

First of all, I do realize who is selling this, and I know he's been the subject of many many discussions here over the years. It's unclear to me whether he's strictly a greedy con man or whether he's dealing with a mental illness. The description for this item seems particularly bizarre and over the top. Anyway, no need to focus on him. I'm intrigued by the beauty of this particular guitar (and no, I'm not interested in buying it).

Okay, so I'm wondering what we're really looking at here. My knowledge of Gretsch acoustic archtops is very limited, but this thing looks special, even if the description was comically exaggerated. I guess I'm a bit confused by the notion that this guitar would be identified as a 1951 example. To my eyes, certain features (the tuners, the binding, and the flamed maple back) are more reminiscent of an earlier era (1930's/40's). Obviously, those thumbnail inlays are later. Anyway, I haven't tried to research it... thought it would be more fun to get the thoughts of the experts here.

Other than the headstock, where's the falcon?

It's a renecked, refinned mongrel.

Good god, the font changes set off my 'student essay written/ copied and pasted two hours before deadline' ptsd.

Ignore. It's serial idiot Bevete up to his old tricks. Bevete AKA Betty's Records is well known for his insanity around here. Nothing he says is to be believed. His nonsense is only outdone by his prices.

Dan Duffy mentioned old Synchromatics coming back for renecks. This is one of them.

Ignore. It's serial idiot Bevete up to his old tricks. Bevete AKA Betty's Records is well known for his insanity around here. Nothing he says is to be believed. His nonsense is only outdone by his prices.

– wabash slim

I thought I was pretty clear that I know all of that.

I'm just curious as to what people think about the actual guitar.

Gretsch was still making catseye Synchro's around '51. Could be a '51 as there is no gold in the binding, but the idiot refuses to show the actual label which would indicate the model, either a Synchro 300 or possibly a Synchro 400. The idiot also refuses to give measurement of the lower bout which would indicate the model. Grovers look to be old, but not PAF as on many of the pre-war. When the original owner returned the guitar for the reneck ('58 or later) he probably asked for a Falcon neck rather than the usual. That's all.

I got to try an acoustic White Falcon with the same type of binding. Played and sounded great. It was a Synchro 300 (17" bout) and a very convincing neck also with thumbnails. But I spotted an inconsistency in the headstock construction which led me to believe it was not factory work. It was a great forgery and could be had for $6K.

The body is an older Synchromatic 300. And gorgeous. Too bad about the mods for a pickup and controls, but I'd imagine the amateur repairs and touchup could be improved upon.

The neck is its own creature entirely. Given the thumbnails, it can't be earlier than late '57. I would imagine that whoever had the reneck done had seen the White Falcon, liked the headstock shape, asked for it, and received it. I don't imagine there's really any way to conclusively date it.

One interesting detail is that it has the early Imperial tuners. I don't know when Grover switched from this style with the extra scribed lines and notches on the stairsteps, but they were gone by the early '50s. So, it would appear that Gretsch reused the original tuners when they did the reneck.

The neck set also looks atrocious. Very little angle, and the action looks high.

I won't even read his descriptions anymore. I don't care if he's a con man, which he most certainly is, or mentally ill. The saddest part of all is that eBay won't flush him and not allow him to post anything under any name.

This guitar looks like it started out life as at least a Synchro 300 if not 400. The fretboard has been replace, maybe the binding too as well as the neck. Given his expected selling price, it's not far-fetched to expect this raving maniac to spend a lot to alter a guitar to make it an oddball in the hopes he could find an investment sucker. Nothing in your imagination is beyond the realm of his schemes.

Just ignore this a$$hole.

The idiot also refuses to give measurement of the lower bout which would indicate the model.

It's in there, if you can make it through the description without suffering an aneurysm. 17" width.

It can't be a White Falcon if it isn't white.

Thanks guys. I'm beyond getting worked up about this seller. He's a sad joke. But the guitar is interesting.

These Imperials look pretty early to me also. I had a similar (or identical?) set on an original 1940 D'Angelico New Yorker that I owned in the 1980's.

I haven't ever spent much time focusing on the old Synchromatics, and this 12-ply (or whatever it actually is) binding reminded me of some of the great high-end archtops of the 30's (that Epiphone that Django was photographed with, for example).

The quality of the wood used for the back... ditto what I said about the binding. It's pretty great.

I'd never be in the market for this guitar now, even at a more sane and rational price, but I still have to admire it for existing. I love the look of the neck/head, even knowing that it doesn't really belong on that body.

The idiot also refuses to give measurement of the lower bout which would indicate the model.

It's in there, if you can make it through the description without suffering an aneurysm. 17" width.

– Afire

"My brain hurts, Dr. Gumby!"

Register Sign in to join the conversation