Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Desk

My Uncle has an executive desk that he told me belonged to Fred Gretsch. He was an engineer at Baldwin when they acquired Gretsch, that is how he got it. Unfortunately he says he doesn’t have anything to authenticate it. I am hoping to include a few pics I took today and look forward to any comments. My Uncle has moved into a retirement community, I am getting ready to list his house and will need to do something with the desk soon.

Thanks, Will Kimble

Trouble posting pics, still working on it...

The ink stamps are randomly placed in the top left drawer, seems clear they are from Gretsch but i have no idea what the stamp is or the time frame it signifies.

BTW, my Uncle's name is Tom Kimble and he designed the Gretsch TK300. The "TK" in TK300 stands for Tom Kimble.

Best wishes and Happy New Year to all, here's hoping some Gretsch aficionados can help me make sense of this desk.

Will Kimble

I can't help with the desk, but that's some fascinating history. Thanks!

TK-300s aren't forgotten around here!

I love the TK-300 bass most of all. Maybe time for another -- autumn stain.

My Uncle has an executive desk that he told me belonged to Fred Gretsch....Unfortunately he says he doesn’t have anything to authenticate it....BTW, my Uncle's name is Tom Kimble and he designed the Gretsch TK300. The "TK" in TK300 stands for Tom Kimble.

It seems to me that your uncle is the provenance. If he knows it to have been Fred Gretsch's desk, then his word would be about as good as any. Of course, how he knows it would have significant bearing on the strength of the provenance. I.e., he personally knew it to have been Fred's desk vs. some random unknown person told him that it was, or something inbetween.

I'm guessing finding a picture of Fred sitting at this desk wouldn't be an easy task.

Pics...

– willkimble

Welcome to the GDP site Will... what a cool thing! I just sent you a PM, but our site's private messaging (email) doesn't always work. So please let me know if you didn't receive it.

There something you don't see every day! How cool.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this and the history on the TK Guitars. This thread should be bookmarked to the history section.

So, Shelbyville is SE of Indy. I doubt that the maker's still around. The seller in Chicago is likely gone as well. Gretsch did have a presence in Chicago, so it's entirely possible Fred G bought it there.

I have a library table with a similar green linoleum top. Those were fairly common. It's not a fancy desk you have there, but a good workingman's unit. The rubber stamp marks seem to be pretty good provenance to me.

So cool! I hope Ed Ball ends up with this piece. He needs to open a museum of his stash

Gretsch had presence in southern Indiana as well. Laminated wood - for both guitars and drums - often came from right here in Jasper.

In that connection, it's a little of a betrayal that Fred bought a desk from Shelbyville - when we had Jasper Corporation (which became Kimball Int'l after it bought that failing Chicago piano manufacturer in order to put a name renowned for cabinetry on Jasper's furniture), Jasper Desk, Jasper Office Products, Jofco, and so many other purveyors of fine office furniture right here in town.

Must've got it at a blowout price.

But I reckon Shelbyville had its share too: https://www.shelbycountyind....

Oh wow - what cool history. And on my 47th New Years Eve, I spent it talking about used office furniture, and with great enthusiasm.

Well Uncle TK would have stories and info about the 70s -- again thought of by some as not-the-golden-years, and of course the abandoned Lost Weekend site had info also.

https://web.archive.org/web...

if you think that's sad, just think of the people who spent NYE reading about office furniture. [raises hand]

Gretsch had presence in southern Indiana as well. Laminated wood - for both guitars and drums - often came from right here in Jasper.

In that connection, it's a little of a betrayal that Fred bought a desk from Shelbyville - when we had Jasper Corporation (which became Kimball Int'l after it bought that failing Chicago piano manufacturer in order to put a name renowned for cabinetry on Jasper's furniture), Jasper Desk, Jasper Office Products, Jofco, and so many other purveyors of fine office furniture right here in town.

Must've got it at a blowout price.

But I reckon Shelbyville had its share too: https://www.shelbycountyind....

– Proteus

Lots of wood products came out of Indiana. South Bend built many of the cabinets for Singer Sewing Machines. Studebaker wagons was the world's largest builder of wheeled vehicles from 1852 onwards.

I'd say the likeliest person to authenticate things would be Fred Gretsch, Jr., who maintains a large collection of Gretsch history.

I'm sure if you get word to him, he'd respond. One route to try is social media — https://www.facebook.com/th...

I emailed FG as soon as I saw the pics.

Love it. Very cool but it needs a bigsby!

I'd say the likeliest person to authenticate things would be Fred Gretsch, Jr., who maintains a large collection of Gretsch history.

I'm sure if you get word to him, he'd respond. One route to try is social media — https://www.facebook.com/th...

– redrocker

That was my intension of trying to reach out to the original poster. I was hoping to get some better photos before approaching Fred. Sounds like Proteus beat me to it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation