Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Country Gentleman 7670 1972 Walnut Red

Hello,

I wonder if i could ask some advice please? I am poised to invest in a vintage Gretsch and i have my eye on a Gretsch Country Gentleman 7670 1972 Walnut Red, serial 7 2101. The chap who is selling this wants approx $5000 (£3750). However it is in museum condition, never been played and comes with tags, case candy, original bill and original brand new case.

Now i know the seventies Gretsch's tend to be less desirable and my gut on this one is that the asking price is too expensive.

How are these models regarded in the history of Gretsch please?

Thank you in advance

AndyB

Your gut is correct. I know the pricing range in the UK is a bit higher than the US due to relative rarity, but that's an end-user/collector price, not an investment price. And it's too much in that event, as well.

The key to successful investing is to buy low and sell high. This chap has already staked out the "sell high" territory, which leaves no place for you to stand. The appreciation for the '70s Baldwin-era guitars is as good as it's going to get, I believe, and I would not expect explosive growth in their value.

I have an excellent-condition '77 Gent, left-handed and factory white finish––a one-and-only guitar––and I paid much less for it a little over a year ago, as an end-user/collector, not an investor.

Good luck! Paul/FF909

Too much even for it's condition and location in the UK where things are more expensive but our UK members would be the better ones to chime in here.

If the seller is calling the finish Walnut Red, they aren't familiar with the correct names. '70's Gents came with the traditional name of Walnut. Autumn Red was a finish on the Super Chet.

Would you have any pics of this guitar, or a link to them?

Edit: Years ago and prior to the internet, articles and books were written about the Baldwin era (from around late '71 when features changed) and espoused personal opinion about them and it wasn't favorable. They are some of the best vintage Gretsches made and you'll frequently find that opinion around here, however intage Gretsches vary a lot guitar to guitar so it's just as easy to get one without perfect quality made in the Baldwin era as the previous era. No CNC technology as we know it today back then for Gretsch.

Too much even for it's condition and location in the UK where things are more expensive but our UK members would be the better ones to chime in here.

If the seller is calling the finish Walnut Red, they aren't familiar with the correct names. '70's Gents came with the traditional name of Walnut. Autumn Red was a finish on the Super Chet.

Would you have any pics of this guitar, or a link to them?

Edit: Years ago and prior to the internet, articles and books were written about the Baldwin era (from around late '71 when features changed) and espoused personal opinion about them and it wasn't favorable. They are some of the best vintage Gretsches made and you'll frequently find that opinion around here, however intage Gretsches vary a lot guitar to guitar so it's just as easy to get one without perfect quality made in the Baldwin era as the previous era. No CNC technology as we know it today back then for Gretsch.

– Windsordave

Hello,

Please find a link below

http://www.davidjpym.com/pa...

Regards

Walnut finish, in fine condition, i think it's about twice as expensive as it should be.

It looks nice, but I agree with others that the price is adventurous, even for the UK. Even if 70s Gretsches are "great", it strikes me as always a bit harder of a sell than 50s or 60s (in that order)--I am happy to stand corrected on this point if I am wrong.

I would also confirm the instrument's weight if weight is a concern to you. 70s Gretsches are reputed to be heavy.

It's not an equal comparison, but over here a viritually unplayed 1968 Tennessean recently went for $2750.The European prices I see on most everything are often a lot more expensive than here.

I'm in the UK and that's high pricing even by UK prices. Don't pay that amount for a 70s Gent. Great guitars that they are that's ridiculous money. £2500 absolute tops for a mint baldwin era. Don't get me wrong I love the Booneville era guitars but that's just too much. Andrew

That dealer wants £10,500 for a Country Club in museum condition. Shame it's in the wrong case ffs

and £6500 for a flamey Streamliner from Ed's book.

I'm definitely a firm believer that extraordinary condition should command a hefty premium. But a hefty premium over what? Over here, a nice 7670 might sell in the $2000-$2500 range. So, tack on maybe another $500 or at most for truly dead mint (and this one looks as close as I've seen), $1000. And that still only gets you to $3000-$3500. So, I'd agree with gretschcrush, £2500 tops.

And yeah, his pricing on the other Gretsches seem equally aggressive.

Guys, thank you ever so much for this feedback, it is really appreciated. I will keep you posted if that's ok.

Guys, thank you ever so much for this feedback, it is really appreciated. I will keep you posted if that's ok.

– darkarthur1972

Please do. If you're after a 7670, then that certainly appears to be "the one." Maybe he's flexible enough to get it into "close enough" territory. I don't mind knowingly overpaying on occasion when I really fall for a guitar.

No shame in paying over the odds if you decide you want it. I've done it enough times. It's a beauty for sure. IMO the seller is taking the p*** & that would annoy me into not buying.

Sure is pretty. You would have a lot of people that are not into Gretsch think you are playing a 5422TG with the blacktops.

That's a beautiful guitar in great condition. I'm a big fan of Baldwin era Gretsch guitars, but $5,000 is very aggressive pricing. I might be willing to pay half that amount.

And as gretschcrush has observed, it appears to be in a case for a larger guitar.

Here's a pic of mine (1975). Its in OK condition as I used it on the road for 20 years, but it's held up well. I have no interest in selling it, but if I did the $1500 - $2000 range would be considered, nothing higher. (And my case fits). But it certainly is a beauty!!!

Thanks for the link to a nice collection of pics. This could very well be the cleanest Baldwin era Gretsch there is but as others have reiterated, a highly optimistic selling price. This guitar, along with the others you describe him having for sale are grossly overpriced, even for the UK, but he's banking on two things with this Gent. First is its rarity outside the US and second, its impeccable condition.

As others have pointed out, the case is the wrong size for this guitar. It may very well have been the case that the guitar came with when new and while in mint shape, being the incorrect size, detracts from the total package, asking price notwithstanding.

He sounds like Gary in the US who prices his guitars well beyond the normal market value - albeit in excellent condition - and sits on his prices till he finds a buyer. He doesn't give a dam what many think of his prices as he doesn't need the money. He lists his guitars on Reverb.com

Wish I could read that sales receipt.... Can the OP shed light on the original purchase price?

That guitar is a beauty! You came to the right place to get educated responses. I’ve valued opinions here for years. With that said, unless this is your bucket list, must have, pry from your cold dead hands guitar, you should probably try to chop the price or pass on it. Good luck.

If you want to own it and just look at it that's one thing. If you are going to play it and enjoy the guitar be prepared to lose investment revenue, kinda like buying a car and losing 20 percent the first time Ya drive it!

I always wondered what the point of a mint Gretsch was unless it was for investment purposes? If you play it, it's going to get worn and then depreciate in value and if you don't it's kinda pointless because the baldwin era guitars are just not that collectable. My thoughts are buy a nice condition baldwin gent and play it to hell!

Get one of these. Completely uncollectable, modded and weird looking Missing unobtainable parts and a 70s Baldwin BUT it's a killer guitar and I like it a lot. Cost me £700 ! and nice and light for a Booneville.

I always wondered what the point of a mint Gretsch was unless it was for investment purposes? If you play it, it's going to get worn and then depreciate in value and if you don't it's kinda pointless because the baldwin era guitars are just not that collectable.

You could say all the same things about an expensive brand new modern Gretsch. The way I look at it is that a guitar like this is the rare chance to buy a brand new 46 year old Gretsch. The rough modern equivalent of this guitar would be the G6122T Players Edition. UK street price, at least at Andertons, is £2,562.00. Given the choice between paying that for a brand new modern one or an essentially brand new Booneville Gent, knowing that I'm going to lose money on resale either way, I know I'd pick the vintage one and probably would be willing to pay more for it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation