Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Chet Atkins 6120 “Dark eyes” is for sale

Do we know this already? I came across Tom Doyle's youtube channel and found this:

Very cool. I wish the 1960s Gent 12 w/ the wide neck that was on the Chet does Beatles album would come up for sale. That's one I want.

Is the video recent? It went up for auction, last year I think, but IIRC, didn't meet reserve, or something like that.

Is the video recent? It went up for auction, last year I think, but IIRC, didn't meet reserve, or something like that.

– Afire

Seems it's indeed from 2016 but was uploaded on Tom Doyle's channel today. As I hadn't seen it before I thought it was recent. Confusing.

I seem to recall that this was discussed on here before it went to auction.

I read the explanation below the clip, stating that the Country Hall of Fame and Museum have not bought it, so it’s up for sale to any taker. It is confusing, as it had been in an auction a few years ago and did not sell.

My question is this. Is this guitar The Holy Grail, the first Gretsch prototype ever built for Chet? Seems like there are a few of them around.

My question is this. Is this guitar The Holy Grail, the first Gretsch prototype ever built for Chet?

IMO, it isn't a prototype at all, in any reasonable sense of the word. A prototype is a preliminary example of something intended to go into production.

This is a prototype:

It was a/the preliminary build of a model they were developing. The Dark Eyes guitar was built two years after the model was introduced and not ever intended to be a precursor to a production model. It was a very interesting guitar custom built for Chet, but a prototype it is not.

I've always felt that "experimental" and "prototype" are two ends of the same line; the prototype being the one closest to the actual production model. Dark Eyes and the '55 sealed top 6120 I always viewed as experimentals. There is a photo of Chet on the back of Ed's 6120 Book with an early version which had two of the Butts Filtertrons and a different paint scheme with small Gibson-like fake f-holes. Then it seems to have gotten the Dynasonics, all black paint job with the large sparkle fake f-holes, fingerboard pickup and the rest.

Register Sign in to join the conversation