Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch badge on vintage cases

Hi folks. I'm now asking a similar question to my other posting regarding the silk banner inside the Gretsch cases. I'm now wondering if the Gretsch badge disappeared in much the same timeframe as the banners?

I would say roughly opposite. The badges started to appear a few years after the banners disappeared. I don't have a hard date, but I'd say about 1966.

I think I saw metal badges on early 70s cases, the maroon covered ones.

There were two different size/shaped badges used. The smaller one was used on older cases as well as the Safari amp and long scale bass headstock. The larger ones seemed to be later in the early '60s, maybe 1964(?) on. I've seen badges on the '60s silver, '60's black and silver, late '60s/early '70s oxblood, '70s speckled silver and '70s black cases. I've also seen many of these same cases without a badge. Most of these cases were made by Ess & Ess out of Brooklyn. I'll bet Ess & Ess ran out of Gretsch badges, so many cases went out without them. My '60 Anniversary's case has a small badge, '65 Tennessean, a large badge. There is no badge on either case for my '66 Country Gent and '65 6120 (Nashville). The '69 White Falcon has a large case badge. 1965 seems to be the year they ran out of badges.

There were two different size/shaped badges used. The smaller one was used on older cases as well as the Safari amp and long scale bass headstock. The larger ones seemed to be later in the early '60s, maybe 1964(?) on. I've seen badges on the '60s silver, '60's black and silver, late '60s/early '70s oxblood, '70s speckled silver and '70s black cases. I've also seen many of these same cases without a badge. Most of these cases were made by Ess & Ess out of Brooklyn. I'll bet Ess & Ess ran out of Gretsch badges, so many cases went out without them. My '60 Anniversary's case has a small badge, '65 Tennessean, a large badge. There is no badge on either case for my '66 Country Gent and '65 6120 (Nashville). The '69 White Falcon has a large case badge. 1965 seems to be the year they ran out of badges.

– duojet55

That's great info, thanks! Any chance you could post a good closeup of both of these badges, please?

The top badge is the older 7/8" X 3 1/2" plate, bottom is the later 3/4" X 3 1/2" plate. These badges always stated "Brooklyn . Chicago" long after both locations were closed. The '70s badges should have stated "Cincinnati . Booneville".

Anyone ever see a Gretsch case with the amp logo? I glued an old amp logo from a Pro Bass amp on my '65 6120's case years ago.

Anyone ever see a Gretsch case with the amp logo? I glued an old amp logo from a Pro Bass amp on my '65 6120's case years ago.

– duojet55

Now that's a cool idea! I like the older of the two badges you kindly showed for us, as in the close-up shot, the lettering appears to be a relief design with the lettering either slightly lower or higher than the background.

This now gives me the idea for what I want to get made. I want to make the badge more of a low or narrow oval (similar to our website logo) and have the word Gretsch in lowered relief, but instead of the T-top font, it would be the identical script style font from my '41 Syncro. I'd put the same 'Brooklyn, Chicago' underneath and I want the material to be made from solid brass plate with the lettering painted a glossy black. Now.......I just have to find someone to make it.

Well there's a 'bullet' between the two cities on the badge close-ups Duo posted above for us but can't print that here. It's that older badge with the heavier stamping I want to copy.

Slanty version? I believe the only 'slanty' version is both versions with the block letters. The first version after the script style and then the change to the T-top they've used ever since, but I could be mistaken. Perhaps Ed will chime in here.

Here's a pic of the headstock of the twin to my guitar showing what I mean - I don't have this shot of my guitar. I think it would make a real cool badge say, 1 3/4" top to bottom and 3" long.

I make a simple version and custom ones

photo 1317750887.jpg

photo 7c299c39.jpg

They're not as nice as the originals though.

A little tweed amp action

photo gretschampbadge.jpg

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" Character played by Alfonso Bedoya to Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) in Treasure of the Sierra Madre

LX, the line you quote is from Blazing Saddles (1974) or a Monkees episode (1967). The line from Treasure of the Sierra Madre is...

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!"

Here's a slightly different script logo on my '53 400F. Compare it to the '39 160's logo at left.

Here's a slightly different script logo on my '53 400F. Compare it to the '39 160's logo at left.

– duojet55

Ah....so that's what the other script logo looks like. Very nice headsock! That size can 'handle' those gold stairsteps.

I think I'll still go with the script style on my Syncro so the badge matches the guitar exactly.

Thanks for all these great pics guys!

Neither my 62 or64 Country Club cases(17") have badges. My 59 Anni.'s case is badge-less as well. I do have a later Deluxe case (maybe65 or `66) that I use for my 2008 White Falcon and it has the early badge..

A little tweed amp action

photo gretschampbadge.jpg

– Setzer

Are these badges still available?

I have a gretsch 1930,s mod 35 and original case badge is gone I would like to buy one , any help

Power, I’ve got some made up but they are two hole style instead of four like in the photo.

Two holes are fine. Can you PM me with info?

Sorry I said my gretsch was 1930 found serial sounds like it's 1950,s still want badge for case it's 2 hole thanks

Two holes are fine. Can you PM me with info?

– Powdog

Are you getting my emails?

Register Sign in to join the conversation