Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Prototype 1956 “Dark Eyes” for sale !

I will stick with the one I have, road worn and well loved. Sold quite a few that I never played because they were too pristine and I just didn't want to mark them up! I still have a "closet queen" Takamine that I really should off but it's kinda nice to look at. All rosewood and pretty as can be, plays like butter wormed up.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm about this, but this guitar has been the subject of numerous threads over the years and it always seems to be for sale.

One old thread about it

But, yeah, it is cool.

I posted it too when I saw it. Still, I think the days of high prices for one of a kind pieces like this are starting to come to a close. We're all pretty much Chet-heads here but as time passes fewer people remember or relate to the scene. Still, I am glad it survived!

Chets sealed top 6120 sold at auction 10 yrs ago or so for 39K. A genuinely much more iconic guitar than this one.

This black 6120 will likely never get close to any six figure sum. I believe it was on the block at Guernsey 3-5 years ago. Bidding topped out around 25 or 30k IIRC. It was in the same lot as Les Pauls fretless wonder.

this guitar will always haunt me.

I was able to buy it on load in day in Dallas for 4K. This was 92 or 93. I hesitated....

Chets sealed top 6120 sold at auction 10 yrs ago or so for 39K. A genuinely much more iconic guitar than this one.

This black 6120 will likely never get close to any six figure sum. I believe it was on the block at Guernsey 3-5 years ago. Bidding topped out around 25 or 30k IIRC. It was in the same lot as Les Pauls fretless wonder.

this guitar will always haunt me.

I was able to buy it on load in day in Dallas for 4K. This was 92 or 93. I hesitated....

– Gasmoney

This is THE "the one that got away" story.

My condolences.

Just read that rumble seat ad---

What an egregious statement regarding this guitar.

"Without this guitar, there would be no 6120, there would be no Country Gentleman, no George Harrison Model, no Brian Setzer, etc, etc. Gibson had their Mr. Les Paul, and Gretsch had Chet Atkins - This guitar was the beginning of it all for Gretsch and Chet Atkins. So you can see that this is way more than just a guitar... it’s a piece of American Musical History! "

The 6120 was already in production.

The sealed top 6120 was much more of a precursor to the Gent. The sealed top 6120 was used on his classic 50s recordings.

The marketing department there could use some help from the GDP before listing this guitar......

"The marketing department there could use some help from the GDP before listing this guitar......" -Gasmoney

Some people don't want to let facts get in the way of a good story.

"The marketing department there could use some help from the GDP before listing this guitar......" -Gasmoney

Some people don't want to let facts get in the way of a good story.

"Without this guitar, there would be no 6120, there would be no Country Gentleman, no George Harrison Model, no Brian Setzer, etc, etc. Gibson had their Mr. Les Paul, and Gretsch had Chet Atkins - This guitar was the beginning of it all for Gretsch and Chet Atkins. So you can see that this is way more than just a guitar... it’s a piece of American Musical History! "

The sealed top 6120 was much more of a precursor to the Gent. The sealed top 6120 was used on his classic 50s recordings.

The marketing department there could use some help from the GDP before listing this guitar......

– Gasmoney

That's exactly why I find it annoying that the term "prototype" is frequently associated with this guitar.

I like that the shipping is only $150!

Gretsch should make this into a regular production model. I hear sealed tops and Dynas go well together.

Ah, Proteus, why did you remove your post? It was spot on.

And one point that you made, which I think is worthy of stressing again, is that the guys with anything that has some Chet provenance had better sell it soon because the number of people who knew who Chet was, and appreciated his talents, keeps shrinking with every passing day.

I thought it was too negative. I'm trying to learn when to STHU.

– Gasmoney

Tom Doyle did exactly the same thing with that Les Paul he had that used to be Les'. The word prototype was frequently used, and the guitar got presented as historically/evolutionairy a lot more significant than it was.

That's exactly why I find it annoying that the term "prototype" is frequently associated with this guitar.

– Afire

So many folks are using the wrong terminology these days. What's pathetic is that when someone points out their error, they aren't apologetic for their error.....they don't even have the self respect needed to feel embarrassed. They adopt the shrug their shoulders attitude that it isn't a big deal, when in circumstances such as this one - a famous, one-off item for sale - it is a big deal to those in the know.

I know, people who are informed about this guitar's history will ignore the BS patter being shovelled by the seller, a guitar dealer who should know better, but it's sad nonetheless.

I stopped by Rumble Seat when they first put it up. They wouldn't let me play it, its hanging up on the wall out of reach. I took a photo though.

This piece, it should be in museums, it's a piece of history.

Paolo.

I can see sticking the nomenclature of prototype on this guitar. It certainly is significant to the history of Gretsch guitars and Chet. The price is ridiculous, regardless. I think a museum would be best for this guitar too.

That might be a tough sell at $26,000...

I stopped by Rumble Seat when they first put it up. They wouldn't let me play it, its hanging up on the wall out of reach. I took a photo though.

– Taffy

This has to be the stupidest, unsafe and most irresponsible display of an iconic vintage instrument ever.

This piece, it should be in museums, it's a piece of history.

Paolo.

– Paolo_Spadaro

Piece of history notwithstanding, I'd rather see it bought by someone who'll play it publicly. There's already a lot of fine guitars squirreled away in collections or museums, never to be heard from again.

We can pretty well assume this would appeal to our late friend Cam but I don't expect he would pay anywhere near the asking price.

Tommy E would be the perfect new owner.

This has to be the stupidest, unsafe and most irresponsible display of an iconic vintage instrument ever.

– lx

Yeah, but you know, the air is warm and dry up there! lol

Until a couple of years ago Rumble Seat used to have a store in Carmel. My impression from talking to the salesman there (a guy in his late 30’s) was that he was just that, a salesman. He didn’t care much about music, and he repeated things that sounded good but weren’t true. One thing he said was “Old guitars just sound better.” I went there twice in one year and their ‘65 white Strat went from 11,000 to 19,000. My Warmoth Strat plays and sounds better to my ears. Sometimes there’s a reason guitars are so pristine.

Register Sign in to join the conversation