Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gold 59 Gretsch

Saw this on the Capsule Music (Toronto) website recently. A gold 6120 from 1959, refine of course . This may have just leaped into first place as a color choice and it would be interesting if Gretsch brought out the same color in their Pro Series line. As the ad describes "ES295 with twang". Unfortunately, the $6K (CDN) they are asking for is out of my range but afterall it is a 59. Cool eh?

Another road trip coming?

Not sure where the exchange rate is these days, but vintage '59 6120 goodness for $6k (even with a refin)... not all that crazy.

I believe it’s a 2.5” 60’.

It was discussed last year a little bit.

Gretsch did have a Keith Scott model with Dynas and a goldtop. IIRC there was also some kind of gold leaf CS6120 for big bucks.

With today's exchange rate it's US$4800. I agree with Ed...not at all crazy for a '59/60 6120, refin or not, and a beautiful guitar.

I think it's a little crazy for any plywood factory made vintage guitar. Other than star association I don't really understand the 6120s greater price range. Not saying they aren't mighty fine guitars but they weren't even top of the gretsch line. Gold is a cool colour though!

I think it's a little crazy for any plywood factory made vintage guitar. Other than star association I don't really understand the 6120s greater price range. Not saying they aren't mighty fine guitars but they weren't even top of the gretsch line. Gold is a cool colour though!

– Toxophilite

Of course you could say the same thing about the '59 Les Paul flame-top. It was a failure when it came out. If Clapton, Richards, Allman, Bloomfield, Gibbons, and Page hadn't used the model to launch blue-based rock of the late 60s... they would have no material value over the brand new clones that Gibson is cranking out today.

So "star association" is everything when it comes to vintage collectible guitars.

Capsule has had this guitatr for over a year, and we have discussed it on the GDP in the past. At that price, I am a little curious as to why it hasn't moved... Toronto is a pretty affluent city, so I don't think it is the price tag.

I don't normally like Gold Guitars, but this one is an exception. That is Bad Ass

Changed B6 then Fred?

– kc_eddie_b

Not sure. I thought someone visited the shop and said it was 2.5",

Could be indeed a 2.75 classic 59'

Al Caiola's guitar maybe?

I contacted them some time ago and as far as I know this guitar has been sold and it also had the label missing...

Re that '67 - I can see the gold but I can't see the sparkle. It looks fantastic nevertheless, but the price is way too 'famous owners' even if they're not excactly household names. And yes, I discovered Soul Asylum back in Hang Time-time. Own a few WIlco records too

Register Sign in to join the conversation