Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Gets your parts box out boys…

... because apparently vintage space control bridges are worth in excess of $162! When did THAT happen?! I think I bought my last one from someone on the GDP for like $45 a year or two ago.

$$$ bridge auction

EDIT - Holy %$#@ this bridge just sold for $302 (plus shipping)!!!

wow, 2 guys fighting over it. they must want it real bad, and i really havent seen any originals on in a while.

Hey - that was fun. By chance I clicked the ebay link with 10 seconds to go in the auction (it said $162) and watched it jump to $305 in the final few seconds.

Hell it's even missing the thumb wheels!

You know...i bet the high bidder was really after that PAT. base.

How about that. I guess neither of those two bidders had any intention of waiting for the next one.

afire said: I guess neither of those two bidders had any intention of waiting for the next one.

Full and obvious disclosure: afire is not a holder of stock in eBay.

Paul/FF909

So if you pro rata that onto the rest of an 65 Annie; what price the whole thing

Yeah I know it costs more to build from bits, but interesting mind exercise.

Sheesh! I sold one of those to Texarock for a fraction of that! Although it was a few years ago.

Setzer said: You know...i bet the high bidder was really after that PAT. base.
One of these?

slight derail... anyone have one of these thin bar rockers or know what models they came stock on? . I found an extra set of the rockin' posts in my Dad's stuff. Note one post is shorter in both sets.

The skinny bar bridges (like the thick bar bridges before them) were used only on models that had a Bigsby. So, it would have been skinny gold bars on Country Gents, and skinny chrome bars on 6120's and Tennesseans. The exception would be Vikings and later Falcons, which had Bigsby's, but used the floating sound unit in conjunction with a space control bridge rather than a bar bridge. They phased in the skinny bars in '66. The only exception I can think of is that they used them on Vettes earlier. But floating based skinny bar bridges for hollowbodies didn't come out until '66.

Paul, I have one of those on my '61 Tenny, but not in gold. I always thought it was non-original as it looks so un-Gretsch. Can you show me a close-up of the posts, particularly the heads of the bolts.

Thanks...

I should sell the one from my Club. I`ll never use it again, and with thumb screws it should go for 400!

Hey Deke, how's this...

might have to open in another window to see the whole photo

Man, 60 Broadway had an impressive machine shop to make all this stuff!

Bryan, I bet they got the idea from Paul Bigsby, the rocking thumbscrews. Some of my Bigsby stuff: Bigsby bridges

Bigsby rocker bridge

I've got two skinny bars, a Gold and Chrome. Glad to know I can date them '66 and on now. Thanks afire!

Another view of the Bigsby rocking thumb wheels and post. Notice in my top photos they have slot heads. Unlike the smooth Gold ones BK posted above. Interesting. Bryan did you Dad make those? I wouldn't have put it past him. Bigsby bridges

Until I saw the 50's Bigsby posts with the slots in them, it never occurred to me that they were really nothing more than a slotted oval head machine screw with the sides sanded off. Great idea.

Paul said: Bryan did you Dad make those? I wouldn't have put it past him.

You and me both! But they look too nice/stock. Dad quite often practiced the art of "quick & dirty".

Thanks Bryan, very helpful. Looking at those, I'm not sure mine are proper Gretsch parts. I'll post a picture later and you can all tell me what you think.

I finally got some made up! These where copied from vintage examples...Bigsby post 8/32"and thumbscrew 3/4" X 1/8" and a Melita thumbscrew 7/8" X 3/16".

Photobucket

If you need some there is a thread in the garage sell section. ;-)

Register Sign in to join the conversation