Vintage Gretsch Guitars

(from 2007) Andy’s 1957 Gretsch 6121 Restoration

It seems there is quite a bit of old posts missing that I think had great value to this community. One of the Gretsch guitars I restored and posted online for this family to see was Andy (from the Hypnotic IV) 1957 6121. The story starts with Andy (with what appears as persuasion from Ed) contacting me to do a neck reset on his guitar. Andy and I got along really well (over the internet…LOL) and the project kept growing and growing. Long story short, neck reset, binding, tuner holes plugged, restore/age an vintage B3 Bigsby and a total finish refresh and overspray.

I will let the pics tell the rest of the story. One thing to note, is that in 1957, Gretsch changed from a Dovetail to Mortise and Tenon joint on the neck. If you are following in the 1955 thread, you will see that joint looks different.

Steaming the neck off. This was one of the toughest I had done because it was reset the wrong angle by someone in the past and they used Titebond which does not come loose easily.

Vintage guard that I reshaped and Andy had laser engraved for the signpost. (took us two or three attempts to get the engraving right).

Thanks for posting, awesome to see this!

Really great work! Thanks for sharing, I enjoy such posts tremendously!

Great for reposting these pics. I remember the thread and love it!

One Bad @$$ bigsby

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

Agreed... LOVE the old B3 units. What's the story with the arm, was that the resto you alluded to? The base is legit pre-'61, but the tail-bracket looks to be later, and the arm looks to be newer(?). Or is that just the way the light is hitting it?

Agreed... LOVE the old B3 units. What's the story with the arm, was that the resto you alluded to? The base is legit pre-'61, but the tail-bracket looks to be later, and the arm looks to be newer(?). Or is that just the way the light is hitting it?

– kc_eddie_b

Ed

I don't recall all the details, but I do believe the hinge plate is newer (62-65 -ish?) I think it should have had a 3 hole not a 4 hole plate. And, If memory serves me correctly, the bigsby came to me all rough sanded with a dremel or similar. I kind of remember sanding and polishing out scratches and pores. It also was missing some parts that I took off a 50's Gold B7 that Andy gave me. When done, I gave it a small relic job to match the timeframe, and did not leave it too over polish etc.

I may have some before and after pics. I will look.

Joe

Register Sign in to join the conversation