Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Freddie Green’s El Dorado Live in ‘62

It's really quite amazing. An El Dorado custom order, of course. From an interesting batch of 1956 Gretsches: Convertibles, White Falcons and Penguins oh my, and Freddie's Eldo, #19952.

If you look at the headstock you see something funny: it's the old Synchromatic logo, what Jay Scott called the chili-pepper-bisecting-a-lightning-bolt. It's really a Cat's eye soundhole superimposed over a "synchronized" bridge stylization -- something that was only on the pre-war Synchromatic 400 models. But Freddie wanted it and he got it. But he broke the neck and then got a regular headstock as can be seen in later photos. Here he is in '68 and you can clearly see the heel dowel/neck-lock, introduced in '58. The whole story is in Dan Duffy's book.

The really amazing thing is that you can hear the dang thing over all that brass&reeds&stuff and my god the thing sounds gorgeous. Velvet chords. Essence of Rhythm.

What a wonderful band. And Sonny Payne (first clip) was one hell of a drummer.

Great stuff, i didn,t know he played a Gretsch ,I thought it was a Stromberg.

kidgretsch: Freddie Green originally played a Stromberg Master Built 400 but -- tight with a buck as he was -- he was afraid it would be damaged in traveling around the country and he didn't want to spend any money on repairing it. So he switched to a Gretsch El Dorado because Gretsch gave it to him either for free or a deep discount and told him they would repair it for free if it were damaged during his travels. Freddie Green's Stromberg was offered for sale in 2017 by Gruen Guitars on consignment from Freddie's son and the asking price was $90,000

kidgretsch: Freddie Green originally played a Stromberg Master Built 400 but -- tight with a buck as he was -- he was afraid it would be damaged in traveling around the country and he didn't want to spend any money on repairing it. So he switched to a Gretsch El Dorado because Gretsch gave it to him either for free or a deep discount and told him they would repair it for free if it were damaged during his travels. Freddie Green's Stromberg was offered for sale in 2017 by Gruen Guitars on consignment from Freddie's son and the asking price was $90,000

– ewkewk

A snip at $90.000 dolllars!

Register Sign in to join the conversation