Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Flamey ‘55 Rancher PSA

"Beautiful 55 Rancher "the one" Gene Vincent used on the cover of the blue caps capital records."

So,are they saying THIS was Gene's guitar? AND $300.00 for a repro pick guard. Paul Setzer is practically giving them away.

Gene's Rancher had that hole in it.

Jack, that pic of Elvis Costello was what fueled my desire to get a Rancher!

I’ve never heard one of the old ones. Do they sound like anything?

Great movie features one -- Tender Mercies starring Robert Duvall with a '56/7. Sounded great. Every one I've ever tried didn't.

Great movie features one -- Tender Mercies starring Robert Duvall with a '56/7. Sounded great. Every one I've ever tried didn't.

– lx

That may have something in part to do with the fact that these guitars can take on a special life in front of a microphone.

I have a 56 Town & Country - same thing for sound evaluation purposes . Live: never have you heard such a small sound come out of such a large guitar.

Maybe you've come across discussions by studio engineers on how hard it can be to record something like a Martin D-28 since it's so boomy. That isn't an issue with at least some of these guitars and the largely 100% midrange sonics really record well and easily--at least in the case of mine.

My brother liked the Town & Country as a recording instrument so much that he bought a 68 Rancher when it came up. I never heard it, but he said it sucked and sold it immediately, evidencing that even ones you have never tried don't sound great either.

Register Sign in to join the conversation