Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Filtertron options: Jones Vs Vintage Vs Current

Sorry if this has been gone over a dozen times. I'm after some opinions on pickups for my 67 Gent. I'm going with a Supertron in the neck, but will need a bridge pickup. I currently have it set up with a modern alnico in the neck (chrome), but want to "finish" the guitar with a gold one to match.

My question would probably be most like: how close are TV Jones to the original vintage ones in tone? I've routinely seen vintage era pickups for the 300-350 mark, and a jones would be less, and I can get one locally (well... in Australia). But I want to treat it right. She's just had a $500 fret and neck job, is sounding sweet acoustically, and the culmination in a lot of work.

TIA

I would like them to offer a Ray Butts Supertron.

My question would probably be most like: how close are TV Jones to the original vintage ones in tone?

I have A/B'd vintage Gretsches with original filters next to TV Jones Classics put into my 60s 6120 (Ray Butts ones weren't around in my buying days) and they were effectively the same in the opinion of my group.

The only thing I liked even more were the vintage Supertrons from a Monkees model I had. Now I have those in my old 6120. Consider another supertron for your guitar!

I've just pulled the trigger on a local Classic bridge. This might sound a bit jerky, but I have a classic bridge, but in chrome. I had a couple of people, whose ears I trust, push me towards the Classic. I tried the chrome classic in there, and I'm not hearing a lot of difference between that and the original in the '71 Nashville I have - nothing that couldn't be explained by the pickup spacing (an airtight, no mute guitar).

I nearly bought a Butts, but the shipping ($70usd) to Australia put me off...

The SuperTron's may have had a ceramic magnet and those give it a little more punch and topend!

I prefer the Classics to the Ray Butts. Just seemed to have more life, more edge and sounded richer. The Butts were a little flatter in comparison

Register Sign in to join the conversation