Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Early Scripty Duo Jet at Wildwood

(NFI)

Quite nice, if not completely original, 1953 Scripty Duo Jet for sale at Wildwood. Early serial number 11920

Wildwood page

For someone located in the US, as Wildwood doesn't ship internationally anymore because of our beloved CITES ...

Holy Crap, that's a beauty, its my favorite year too, thanks for sharing

This sounds just about perfect. This is pretty much the tone that lead me to buy a Duo Jet.

8.7 lbs.? I recall my '53 being a bit heavier than your average vintage Jet, but that's pretty heavy. I'm guessing the weight relief on this first batch might not have been as extensive as on later Jets.

The thing about early Jets (Clubs/Electros too) that I just can't quite abide is the position of the bridge pickup. Moving it a half inch or so farther out from the bridge really does make a noticeable difference. It definitely makes for a beefier bridge-only tone, which probably is a good thing to some people. But it doesn't deliver the twang I'm accustomed to.

In this day and age how is it that a reputable dealer such as this doesn't know that this Jet is a '53 model year example? I could see not knowing the difference between other model years, but the '53 Jets have the unique headstock logo. If I were them I'd be touting "debut batch" and looking to squeeze a premium for that. I know that I care more about this stuff than 80% of the guitar community... but jeez, this one is a lay-up!

He states that its all original but it's got a space control bridge, didn't they come out in 57 or 58? I wish someone would come out with a good space control like Embie and tru-arc did with melitas and rocking bars

Yeah... the bridge and truss rod cover aren't original. Wildwood is clearly not up to speed on vintage Gretsch guitars.

Hey Ed, what about the 3 screws in the round control plates? I thought jets had only 2 screws each from the get go.

The "Yikes!" jet also had 3 screws each and claimed to be all original.

I think at the end af the first batch they switched to 2 screws. Enclosed you see the back of a Scripty jet S.Nr. 12022.

8.7 lbs.? I recall my '53 being a bit heavier than your average vintage Jet, but that's pretty heavy. I'm guessing the weight relief on this first batch might not have been as extensive as on later Jets.

The thing about early Jets (Clubs/Electros too) that I just can't quite abide is the position of the bridge pickup. Moving it a half inch or so farther out from the bridge really does make a noticeable difference. It definitely makes for a beefier bridge-only tone, which probably is a good thing to some people. But it doesn't deliver the twang I'm accustomed to.

– Afire

My 57 with humpblocks was a heavy guitar. I don't remember the exact weight but compared to my 58 it was night and day. Average Les Paul heavy..... I guess it really depends on the wood they used or had available .....

I think at the end af the first batch they switched to 2 screws. Enclosed you see the back of a Scripty jet S.Nr. 12022.

– Ralf070158

120013, two screws as well.

But I agree, nothing wrong with the three screws on this one.

My 57 with humpblocks was a heavy guitar. I don't remember the exact weight but compared to my 58 it was night and day. Average Les Paul heavy..... I guess it really depends on the wood they used or had available .....

– Danman

You may be right, just the particular wood, not the routing. Although, I will say that there was some difference in the way these were made. I think the supports were a little different, IIRC. Could see enough to tell about the routing.

I had a '56 Jet that was really featherweight. I ordered it from Southworth when I was 17. I had never held a Jet, only ever saw one in person once, knew absolutely nothing about them. When I opened the case and picked it up, I was shocked. I was expecting it to feel like a Les Paul. It just felt "wrong" to me. Needless to say, I got over it.

You may be right, just the particular wood, not the routing. Although, I will say that there was some difference in the way these were made. I think the supports were a little different, IIRC. Could see enough to tell about the routing.

I had a '56 Jet that was really featherweight. I ordered it from Southworth when I was 17. I had never held a Jet, only ever saw one in person once, knew absolutely nothing about them. When I opened the case and picked it up, I was shocked. I was expecting it to feel like a Les Paul. It just felt "wrong" to me. Needless to say, I got over it.

– Afire

Do you mean that there are differences in the routing of DeArmond Jets? The Filtertron Jets definitely are different but I never saw a difference in the earlier ones. But of course I haven’t seen them all.... ; ).
My 57 and my 58 were the same as far as I could tell.

I think that wood from lower down in a tree is heavier than wood from higher up. And perhaps wood from wetter areas might be lighter than from drier areas. But I’m always surprised at how big the differences can be.
Yes, I think we were messed up by the weight of guitars in the 70s and 80s, thinking that that was the way they were supposed to be......

When I had my '53 I recall noticing a few unexpected things, but didn't pay close attention or take notes. I don't recall for sure whether it was the routing, or just the supports. Which isn't very helpful.

When I had my '53 I recall noticing a few unexpected things, but didn't pay close attention or take notes. I don't recall for sure whether it was the routing, or just the supports. Which isn't very helpful.

– Afire

Interesting. I'll try to pay closer attention the next time I get a chance to compare a few.

Register Sign in to join the conversation