Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Early 1964 Country Club restoration/resurrection DONE!

How do they sound? GreTscH has never made a 17" hollowbody with HiLos. TVJ says they are his favorites. Any way of making some clips?

BTW, I add my compliments. Really beautiful work. Wish I had your skills. And I vote in favor of the armrest. Pickguard is lovely as well.

The 6199 Convertible/Sal Salvador was a 17" and fully acoustic; IIRC it may have been the only Gretsch to receive a Dyna, a Filter and a HiLo in it's production cycle. I've only heard the Dyna version and loved it. Second on the sound clips.

A truly unique winner from paint job to hardware!

I almost bought a Convertible once...I was told by a 2nd party it was a potential basket case so I didn't , however maybe I should've. beautiful guitars. Thanks Dave and Strummerson !

Here's a couple of old 64s . They sound pretty similar except the Country club is a little bigger and warmer. which I think largely comes from the distance the pickups are from the bridge and each other.I did cheat and fudge both the CC pickups 1/4' closer to the bridge which makes them a little brighter and allows the neck PU pickup surround to be seen. Now: (measured from the middle of the poles on the low E string)

The CC neck PU is 6" and the bridge PU is 1 5/8" from the bridge

The Tennesseanneck PU is 5 3/8" and the bridge PU is 1 3/8" from the bridge

I think this is the biggest factor Of course the CC has a slightly wider body at 17". open F-holes, a long scale and an ebony board as well But I'm betting the pickup spacing is making the most difference

Sound clips: Country club first then Tennesseean. Straight into homebuilt AB763 Deluxe reverb with a 3 band fender EQ and a JBL D123 speaker. I should also say that this deluxe instead of the 47 pf bright cap has a 120 pf cap on a bright switch like my Super reverb. The bright switch is disengaged for this recording. Close miked using a shure sm58 (because that's what I had on a stand!) Amp at V-2 T-4.5 M-3 B-4 Chords: neck, middle, bridge Riffs: middle, neck, bridge

https://soundcloud.com/bern...

I hear the Tennessean being just a tad brighter sounding, probably the result of that bridge pickup being a tad closer to the bridge, but otherwise not much to choose being the sound of both guitars. And they both sound terricfic, as does your playing Bernie! The fact they're understandably so much alike it comes down to which one looks better for a given song! With this CC in the stable and looking and sounding so good, does that mean one of the Yamaha's goes up for sale?

Thanks Dave! Are you looking to buy a Yamaha??? I tend to like guitars that sound similar so I can have a pair live in case I break a string ... which doesn't seem to happen much anymore though it used to. I used to have a strat as a second guitar and If I broke a string and had to pick it up I hated it! THe geometry was all wrong and it sounded really different! Around the home I loved playing it as it sounded beautiful!

The one Yamaha AE1200S has blacktop filertrons in it and sounds really good that way. It sounded good with Hilotrons but then in my opinion, everything does!!! I might try the blacktop filtertrons in the other Yamaha (AE18) as they are pretty well a drop in for conventional humbuckers. That's why you should sell me yours so I don't have to use these new ones I got..hahahaha

No!......I'm not trolling for your Yamaha! If you take the Tenny & CC to your gigs, where does that leave your 2 Yamahas.....one in the trunk for a spare spare? I can see you keeping the AE 18 as it's a terrific guitar, very nice construction and that big archtop sound.

Still hangin' on to the pair of BF Filters out of my SC for future implant into my 6120. As it's the Blue Burst model - outer edges fade to black, the BF Filters will be nicely color co-ordinated. BTW, this is the only sunburst color scheme I like. Tobacco and yellows.....common and bleck.

One time I ate a smoothy when I was sick and had a blue burst

Sound clips of the Country Club with hilotrons and a comparison of a Tennessean are about 4 post back if anyone is interested

I'm surprised at how similar they sound, the Tenny sounds a bit more focused due to the smaller size I guess. I think I like them in the Tenny more, but I bet dynamics change at louder levels. Nice playing.

I just tried them out at volume and the results are pretty much the same I think the Tennessean sounds brighter and maybe tighter because it's pickups are closer to the bridge and each other A little less bottom and more top over all the CCs neck pickup is 5/8" farther from the bridge and the bridge pickup is 1/4" farther. especially in the bridge position this makes big difference. Just the fact that these gretsch guitars have essentially the same pickups placed in different positions (neck and bridge) and the result is a vastly different sound shows how much this affects a guitars sound. The playing is a little gimpy being get-something-recorded-and-don't-fuss type playing!

I just tried them out at volume and the results are pretty much the same I think the Tennessean sounds brighter and maybe tighter because it's pickups are closer to the bridge and each other A little less bottom and more top over all the CCs neck pickup is 5/8" farther from the bridge and the bridge pickup is 1/4" farther. especially in the bridge position this makes big difference. Just the fact that these gretsch guitars have essentially the same pickups placed in different positions (neck and bridge) and the result is a vastly different sound shows how much this affects a guitars sound. The playing is a little gimpy being get-something-recorded-and-don't-fuss type playing!

– Toxophilite

Nonsense, the playing is great. It's a good honest representation of both guitars in their purest form. I love to hear that kind of side by side comparison. By the way, I listened to your recording of Cha Cha Chance and I have to say I'm diggin' it.

Why thanks! That's the Viking I used to have on that recording, string mutes , FSU and all. Is you want to listen to more of the same there's 4 albums by the Colorifics(my band) here: https://thecolorifics.bandc...

You can audition any and all of the material free, for I think up to 3 plays for each song. plug plug

I missed this thread somehow, but I want to add a belated "WoW!"

Bernard, I am simply confused by your combination of talents. It pisses me off, like one of my older brothers who does everything really well (please don't tell me that you can play the trombone). I think the green was not only a great choice, but beautifully executed.

Interesting that you saw fit to try for a similar sound as the Tenny. I get your reasoning, but my approach (albeit as a non-professional player) has always been to try to diversify my collection tonally. But then I know you've got other guitars.

Thanks. I wish I had more managerial and booking talents...or just perseverance in the 'real' world. That's what really pays off in this life. I have high school band 2nd trumpet chops though...whoooeee! No trombone. That would be my sister. I couldn't get use to the filtertrons it came with. Nice pickups though I probably should've tried harder (I sold them!) I put the hilotrons in on a whim and liked how it sounded and looked actually. Now I have a couple of vintage DeArmonds, I was contemplating trying them out in this guitar. It's kind of fun having a cool old guitar that is so far beyond stock that you can try whatever you want with it. i think with the heavier strings I use, quiet single coil pickups sound better. Or perhaps it's the other way around.

Now that was a great thread with a happy ending... that’s one of the nicest colours I’ve seen for a wider body gretsch..

Yep throw the dynas in... are they gold?

Interesting on the CC that the s/n# is a 788xx. My early 64 is s/n# 593xx. Yours must be from mid-late64. I know once the Beatles hit it was a mad dash to build Gents and at one time they were Back-ordered 50,000 guitars!

It was sold to me as a 64 though though the 70,000 number carried into 65. I think Ed said it could be as late as 66 but I'm sticking with 64. Alledgedly that's when they phase out the thin models

On the clips, they do sound close. I actually like the Convertible better. Seems punchier. I did some tweaking last night on my CC's and lowered the inner poles to be level with the top of the pickup and just using the poles that are closest to the bridge and on the other the one that's closest to the fingerboard. Gives them a bit more top end, almost a singl coil/HiLo soun, but without the hum.

You probably are referring to the Tennessean when you're saying 'Convertible, yes? I was comparing the Tennessean and teh COnvertible. There's a clip of the 58 club up tehre playing a solo in a song too With the filtertrons on my 58 club and my 72 Deluxe Chet I just usually adjust the poles on the bridge side of both pickups for the very reasons you're stating. unless I need a little extra. On the club I removed one of the B string poles as the B was SO LOUD. I used a wound G so the b is the first plain string.

Register Sign in to join the conversation