Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Early 1964 Country Club restoration/ressurection

I agree regarding the natural finish

I've tried: -More acetone -wood stripper - diluted conventional bleach - more light sanding (320 then 600) - oxalic acide( deck cleaner/wood bleach)

This was pretty frustrating because I researched this online a fair bit and many people seemed to champion the use of acetone and nobody warned about the potential problems (which would've been nice) If I had read a warning or had it pointed out to me prior I would've definitely looked into different methods I don't have facilities to really sand lacquer off in my apartment. But a stripper might've worked better, etc. I might try a final try at acetone butI don't think it won't help. There's also some dark brown staining on the edges of the sides which I think is from the original binding, It wouldn't look terrible in natural. but it definitely be a 'dirty blonde'!

Sometimes when I strip guitars with lacquer thinner, I use clean towels an use the surface only once, if that makes sense. So if I wipe and the towel lifted some paint I don't use that same part of the towel. Most of the time it works and I get the guitar surface clean

I'm pretty sure that if I sanded off the remaining 1mm of spruce laminate I'd get rid of all the blotching!! Anyway, sadly this is all water under the bridge. I will do the extra 'tonne of work' and paint the guitar green!

Yeah the lead in that stuff digs in.

I agree regarding the natural finish

I've tried: -More acetone -wood stripper - diluted conventional bleach - more light sanding (320 then 600) - oxalic acide( deck cleaner/wood bleach)

This was pretty frustrating because I researched this online a fair bit and many people seemed to champion the use of acetone and nobody warned about the potential problems (which would've been nice) If I had read a warning or had it pointed out to me prior I would've definitely looked into different methods I don't have facilities to really sand lacquer off in my apartment. But a stripper might've worked better, etc. I might try a final try at acetone butI don't think it won't help. There's also some dark brown staining on the edges of the sides which I think is from the original binding, It wouldn't look terrible in natural. but it definitely be a 'dirty blonde'!

– Toxophilite

Yeah, being forewarned would've been a big help, to say the least! The problem with more sanding is that you run the risk of sanding away that thin spruce veneer.

I think a guitar this old has no problem with a 'dirty blonde' appearance! It adds character and besides, you don't like a 'new' look anyways. Any shade of green will look new to a degree whereas nitro on the natural look will let it show off its age proudly

Caddy green, all the way.

I did immediately notice that I forgot to put little dots on the side of the fretboard binding..one doesn't realize how much one is use to relying upon such things!

Hofners don't have them at all. I played a handful of gigs subbing with a Beatles tribute as Paul, and I have to say, I too was surprised by how much I missed those little dots. In fact, despite the gazillion gigs McCartney has played with his Hofner, you can still notice his habit of tilting his bass up occasionally to look at the fingerboard dots, usually before starting a song.

– Afire

Yes, I have added side dots to two Hofner bases recently because the owner was going crazy, trying to figure out where he was.....
Not sure yet if I will do this to my Hofner Club. I have been able to get by so far.

Great project btw. A lot of fun to follow!

Hi Curt I don't know if this is presumptuous to ask but is there any chance you would share your cadillac green paint formula, if possible? I thought it never hurts to ask and I understand if you might not want to and or can't. I tried to PM you but it cane back Thanks

the CC project is on hold while I await proper thickness binding from Stewmac. i tried the thin stuff available locally and it was a nightmare of tiny pieces so I'm going to go with the easy full width stuff. It should arrive in the next couple weeks

Hi Curt I don't know if this is presumptuous to ask but is there any chance you would share your cadillac green paint formula, if possible? I thought it never hurts to ask and I understand if you might not want to and or can't. I tried to PM you but it cane back Thanks

the CC project is on hold while I await proper thickness binding from Stewmac. i tried the thin stuff available locally and it was a nightmare of tiny pieces so I'm going to go with the easy full width stuff. It should arrive in the next couple weeks

– Toxophilite

Where are you located?

Sadly, for paint transportation, Vancouver BC Canada

On a side note while I'm waiting for things to arrive my Tennessean is looking happier...except for the top half which I think I could only fix but putting a new faceplate just above the name...don't really feel like it right now. I'll post a picture of how it looked previously. Now some blk paint and maybe some clearcoat if I feel ambitious. Going to tape off the name for now. It won't be perfect but better and overall stronger, though this fix was mostly for cosmetic reasons. Don't notice how %^&^ askew it all is!

Before I replaced the bottom half of the faceplate

And to really horrify the masses and lay myself open to slings and arrows of righteous scorn, here's what 10 beheadings and various different fixes can get you (I've since feathered this out all nice and smooth and it will be painted black )

Sadly, for paint transportation, Vancouver BC Canada

– Toxophilite

Yeah that's a problem.

The materials wouldn't be available to you so the formula isn't going to help.

Any chance you could send it to me anyway? You can pm it to me if you want.

Well! What a saga! After my local source failed to get back to me I ordered full size binding from stewmac on Dec 19th. I didn't order the outer thickest size because I had some I thought was right...Sadly Stewmac left my apartment number off the order. As I don't always have the same posty, it was sent back to Stewmac. I waited out the full 4 weeks that stewmac allows for shipping and the asked them to resend the order, which they did, on Jan 16th. At this point I tried one last ditch attempt to line up the local source (thinking I just wanted to &^(&^ work on this guitar, though I had roughed out a one piece ebony bridge. The local source replied and asked me about sizes! I replied and then waited..and waited. Finally we set up a time to meet..3 weeks after my Stewmac order was reshipped. Of course the Stewmac order arrived the day before the scheduled meeting but sadly my outer thick white binidng was one inch too short!!! I didn't want to do a joint though in retrospect it might not've been too bad. grrrrrr GRRRRR!!!. I went and met the local source driving through a seasonally unusual snowfall only to arrive and have the local source tell me they just emailed to to tell they didn't have the size I wanted 6mm x 1.5 mm.....THey emailed 25 minutes before the sheduled time! I did howver get some 6mm by 2.5mm thick white binding...just enough to do the back top and headstock. I made a Toxo-o-matic jiffy binding thickness reducer out of an old block plane blade and a tiny vice, hand operated, as I don't have a belt sander. Here it is in all it's primitive yet effective glory. Took off about .02-.03 mm a pull (site wouldn't let me put up the picture ..it is pretty damn sexy!)

Got the back top and headstock bound. Binding is something that I don't enjoy doing as I am NOT an octopus. The results should be pleasing though.... I have photos of it all but the site is currently not letting me upload them, though they are quite small. I'll try again later or in the morn. Back to my deluxe reverb build!

Well the tape is off and I'm scraping down the binding. I looks pretty great so far. Hopefully I can post a few pictures soon. It seems there's some site spring cleaning to do as I was notified by the powers that be. All in good time. Heck it's taken me 2 months to get binding!

Here's a link to the photos of the binding process on Flickr for the time being I pretty well have it scraped down and almost finished now. I still have to add one tiny piece in the cutaway and the heel plate. https://www.flickr.com/phot...

Register Sign in to join the conversation