Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Duo Jet question

I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I must ask - do vintage Duo Jets have the same binding and neck heel issues that the hollow-bodies can have?

(...intermittent sound of quietly-chirping cricket...)

Up to about '56-7, Jets had a dovetail neck joint making them somewhat fragile. You'll see some renecked earlier '50's Jets with the newer thumbnail necks and neck-lock screw. Around '56-7 (think G. Harrison's jet) came with mortise/tenon joints which proved to be stronger. Binding rot is a '60's thing; YMMV.

(...intermittent sound of quietly-chirping cricket...)

– jeffed

With my tinnitus, I can hear crickets most of the time...

Thanks for the info - I have my sights set on eventually getting a Jet, and while I don't think I'll be able to get an old one, it is good to know what to look for if I happen to come across one.

So the new terada jets presumably have a much stronger joint than the vintage ones?

The modern Jets have the mortise/tenon joint and (presumably) better adhesives so they are definitely stronger than a pre-'56-7 jet. When Gretsch started making the slim body guitars (e.g. '59 Clippers -- maybe Gents too -- and later models) they used a mortise/tenon joint and you rarely see any neck problems after '59, but oh, that rot....

Register Sign in to join the conversation