Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Duo Jet 1957 sunburst SN 25 581

I remember that supposed Jet prototype with a sunburst finish, anyone have that picture to post for comparison?

– Aaron75

Here is the sunburst prototype:

Here is the sunburst prototype:

– Danman

Thanks Dan.

Yes, that is the one.

Yours

Drew

Thanks for that serial # Ralf! The #255xx group is in fact one of the batches that produced Cadillac green Jets. That number is also only two away from Paul Setzer's unique gold finished Jet.

It appears perhaps the back was black at one time, you can see dark around the control cavity ledge and overspray on the underside of the top.

Goldie's label:

photo 3bd4re2.jpg

Earlier number.

oops... my bad. I had Paul's guitar misidentified as being in the this batch!

JBJ... great eyes! Well, between the batch origination, the gold hardware, the pickguard, and the black residue around the control cavity, I'm starting to convince myself that this might have been a Cadillac green Jet, that's been refinished. The model number is still a quandary however.

Yeah the model number thing is odd, what if that handwritten end of the model said -"g" as in Green, instead of -9?

Yeah the model number thing is odd, what if that handwritten end of the model said -"g" as in Green, instead of -9?

– JazzBoxJunky

Yes, there could be something to that.

Yours

Drew

Dang! I was hoping mine would have been part of that Caddy batch. That might help explain the custom color.

No worries Ed. I had to go double check the number myself. Always good to see 57 jets pop up and fill in the gaps.

Thank you for reminding me how much I like my Cadillac Jet. Oooh aaaah. I'm kind of surprised that more of them haven't turned up in the meantime.

By my guess (although it's an educated one) there were probably between 100 and 125 of the caddillac green Jets produced. If I'm close, then that means they are slightly more rare than the '53 Scripty Jets (150 made). Feels about right, as we seem to see one or two of each pop up a year.

Register Sign in to join the conversation