Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD - Maybe should have held out for the longer scaled Elliot Easto…

On the other hand, my arms are pretty short... Otherwise, I'm one happy camper! The action is just perfect - straight from Japan. Now I need to find a suitable strap.

One question: does this guitar make my gut look too big? It's always something for us older guys to consider. "More practice - less beer?" Maybe I should have gotten the Country Club or Tavo's Silver Falcon after all...

I've been told my Country Club has a slimming effect compared to my Roundup.

Wow - you're a monster!

Those Double Jets get better looking to me every year. Excellent acquisition, Noiselab!

Paul/FF909

Those Double Jets get better looking to me every year. Excellent acquisition, Noiselab!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Me too. Mrs. Fieldhdj thinks it looks like a guitar in a tux.

I hope to be sporting one of those in the next few days, but what I really want to know is where do you get one of those Godzillas?

It's a vintage Billiken vinyl kit that I assembled and painted over a decade ago. I had it in storage for a while (wife hates it), but dusted it off recently for display in my office. It needs a bit of repair here and there, but it's still fun.

For the Godzilla fans here on the GDP, this is the model depicting the 1964 version from "Godzilla v. Mothra". Not all Godzillas are alike! I think my personal favorite is the original from 1954. In later years, they made the face less serious - almost comical. BTW - the teeth on my model are neither original or accurate.

What I love most about these kits is that Billiken didn't try to hide the fact that the monsters or kaiju were rubber-suited actors in the movies. You can pretty clearly see on the model where the actor's head was poorly disguised by the costume design - just like the real movie costumes.

When I built it, any of these original Billiken kits were fairly hard to come by. While the kits are a bit easier to find via eBay, some are quite spendy and you still need to have some modeling skills to make them look right.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Me Three.

Register Sign in to join the conversation