Other Players

Late to the party.

I'm in my late 30's and I only just discovered Otis Rush. How did THAT happen?!?

Just be happy that you finally did discover him.

his 50's sessions for cobra are amongst the greatest electric blues ever recorded!…his influence on mayalls bluesbreakers ie clapton and green was huge

cheers

his 50's sessions for cobra are amongst the greatest electric blues ever recorded!…his influence on mayalls bluesbreakers ie clapton and green was huge

cheers

– neatone

this one is from the same family ?

Didier, Otis Lifts as they are known in the UK are based in Reading!

Sorry for the derail.

actually otis elevator was founded in in the mid 1800's in yonkers ny..just above nyc..they were later based in chicago

which is alluded to in the eddie cochran song- twenty flight rock

*Well, they sent to Chicago for repairs 'Till it's a-fixed I'm using the stairs Hope they hurry up before it's too late Want my baby too much to wait All this climbin' is gettin' me down They'll find my corpse draped over a rail

But I climbed one, two flight, three flight, four Five, six, seven flight, eight flight more Up on the twelfth I'm ready to drag Fifteenth floor I started to sag Get to the top, I'm too tired to rock*

oddly otis rush and the cobra record label were both based in chicago as well!!!…so there is indeed a connection..haha

cheers

Off to ye olde recorde shoppe today to find me some vintage Rush!

i envy your discovery!! you will enjoy.

prime example..otis rush on guitar & vocals

cheers

Every time I get into a Schindler lift I think of Spielberg. (Here we call an elevator a lift)

Oh, and Otis Rush is amazing. One of my faves. Like many, I was in awe of "All Your Loving" when I first heard it played by the Bluesbreakers. Then I heard Otis Rush's original version and couldn't believe how the BB played it practically note-for-note. I like Otis' version better.

I got turned on to the blues by the Yardbirds when I was15; they were obviously big fans of Otis.

Love Otis Rush. His singing and playing!

One thing I'm finding is that some REAL power comes from these guys voices. Otis reminded me of BB King. Such magnificent vocals. So now I've fallen down the rabbit hole and investigating artists like Nappy Brown, Big Maybelle, Big Mumma Thornton, Billy Boy Arnold....

Rob - buy this box set

Amazon

I think it is just where your head is at.

Cheers guys, Will do when payday swings past again :) I'm loving the 'rawness' and passion of the music.

One of the true joys of growing up near Chicago was access to a really wide range of music. Thanks to Chess Records for keeping the Blues alive. Just getting to hear old blues guys playing on Maxwell Street ala the Blues Brothers was a treat.

Every time I get into a Schindler lift I think of Spielberg. (Here we call an elevator a lift)

– JimmyR

I thought it was just me that did that!

One of the true joys of growing up near Chicago was access to a really wide range of music. Thanks to Chess Records for keeping the Blues alive. Just getting to hear old blues guys playing on Maxwell Street ala the Blues Brothers was a treat.

– wabash slim

One day I really hope to get to Chicago, and then wander down to New Orleans.

If you get to Chicago make forty mile trip to Elgin birthplace of P. A. Bigsby.

great billy boy arnold album- crying & pleading…a comp of his prime 50's vee jay label tracks…

cheers

This is where I found Otis Rush, in the cut-out bin around '69. I like him on his Epi Riviera even better than on a Strat. It's still some of my favorite playing of his:

hah…many a great lp was found in the cut out bin…cover corner cut ie "cut out" or just hole punched…woolworths bags of 45's for 99¢..great days

a complete 3 volume edition of that vanguard label series of chicago blues is still available

here's what the late great cub koda said about otis' performances on that lp

Review by Cub Koda - After his tenure at Chess, Otis Rush signed with Duke Records in Houston, who only released one 45 during his entire five year stay at the label. This Vanguard session from 1966 was his first in several years and finds him in exemplary form. Backed by a tough little club band, Otis' guitar tone is crystal clear and well focused, while his singing is simply superb. With two excellent instrumentals aboard ("Rock" is Otis' version of Earl Hooker's "Universal Rock"), the other big ticket highlight is the version of "I Can't Quit You, Baby" that Led Zepplin would later copy note for note on their first album. This is part of a three volume series and also features excellent tracks by James Cotton ("Cotton Crop Blues" and a wild version of "Rocket 88") and Homesick James.

luther tucker was the other guitarist on that session!

otis really was double trouble..killer guitar and vocals

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation