Vintage Gretsch Guitars

dig this GC refin Gent

Is that color officially known as "Bile green" or "Snot green?" Either way, I don't think it's an improvement over the traditional poop brown.

Don't like the color either. Rather bilious IMO. Poop brown sort of distinguishes a gent. Pretty good price but we don't know the year and can surmise about the condition of the binding.

Here's one I just saw that I think is a better guitar. It's beyond the rot timeframe and as we now know, the Baldwin Gents are pretty good guitars. At least this one is the right color.

https://reverb.com/item/108...

No affiliation with this guitar or seller, just saw it on Reverb.

I'm actually strangely attracted to the green refin Gent... but I would want to pay a lot less for it.

I generally like green as a finish color but this particular shade I find revolting.

ah man...cover her shame and paint some f-holes on quick!

She wouldn’t be the only vintage Gent I have without F-holes. That’s actually the attraction for me!

If you're going to do a green gent,get it a little closer to Cadillac green!

ah man...cover her shame and paint some f-holes on quick!

– tabletop

I like f-holes and on this guitar it would certainly help but still it's a lipstick on a pig for me.

I would consider it to be more of a pea soup green and kinda like it. Fortunately though, my Green Gent base is also already covered.

Without F-holes it looks a little like it's gagged

I like it and think the silver/chrome appointments work with the green. The fake f-holes always photograph well and look great on-stage, but the ones with the white "binding" have always looked a little cartoony up close.

Is it Baldwin era Gent without scratchplate and chrome? hardware??

Is it Baldwin era Gent without scratchplate and chrome? hardware??

– richie...

I think its gotta be pre '67 because of the double mutes so its pre Baldwin.

I like it too. It looks like a an olive with a toothpick. Just needs o be dropped into a Martini.

I like it too. It looks like a an olive with a toothpick. Just needs o be dropped into a Martini.

– jps1965

Red pickup surrounds...

I like it and think the silver/chrome appointments work with the green. The fake f-holes always photograph well and look great on-stage, but the ones with the white "binding" have always looked a little cartoony up close.

– lx

Don't all Gretsch's look a little cartoony?..isn't that part of what's great about them?

I don't have a problem with the refinish, though I like F-holes in a hollow body. I like the white border ones myself. The other ones don't make as much sense to me visually.

Red pickup surrounds...

– lx

They're called pimentos.

Not a big deal. I just prefer a real inlay after encountering a single-cut Gent. A pearl border on an ebony f-hole veneer would be fantastic. It's like preferring a Bigsby to a Burns. They'll both get you there.

I like that green, but I'm colorblind to Red/Green. All in all though, I think its a cool Guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation