Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

From another thread that had that Chuck Berry picture...

– Afire

LITTLE RICHARD not CHUCK BERRY

Rick Nielsen playing.... what is that, a Malcom Young model?

Rick Nielsen playing.... what is that, a Malcom Young model?

– kc_eddie_b

EDIT: You are probably right, Ed. I think that it is a G6131SMYR.

I had originally confused it in my mind with the G460 Synchromatic. But, look at the TRC and tell me, doesn't that have the G-Arrow that Fred Gretsch had on the Synchromatic line? FURTHER EDIT: Nope, it is Malcolm's signature.

There's another old pic of Jimmy Page out there. He's wielding a 6120 like a cricket bat.

Here it is, Big Burly, along with another one of Jimmy with a G6120.

EDIT: See clarifying post #62 below.

LITTLE RICHARD not CHUCK BERRY...

I realize that. There was another thread where these pictures were discussed and it appears that both of them posed with the same White Falcon in the same UK shop.

That second guitar Page is playing looks like it might be yet another modded '59 or '60 6119.

Watch some '60's bands on You Tube----Gretsches galore!

That second guitar Page is playing looks like it might be yet another modded '59 or '60 6119.

– Afire

Actually, having done some more research on this photo, it is not genuine. It is photoshopped. Here is the original photo where Jimmy played his LP.

Hubert Sumlin with Howlin' Wolf:

George Van Eps (7 String!)

John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mr. Dave "Edge" Evans

Some fella from Tupelo, Mississippi

Randy Bachman ---- this is the same model guitar with which he recorded "Shakin' All Over"

Jeff Beck is known mostly as a Strat guy, sometimes LP, but he's been known to show some Gretsch love too!

Robert Smith can't Cure his Gretsch addiction

BB thinks it makes a nice pillow

I never knew this until today - Grady Martin.

Spike that's killer! Its the 57 Gent in action!

Spike that's killer! Its the 57 Gent in action!

– JazzBoxJunky

HELL YEAH! So now we finally have a decent photo of the Grady Martin 2-tone Gent (with f-holes and headstock plaque). That's been a nagging omission as we search out these ultra-early Gents. Good to finally get it documented. Now if we only had the serial number. Wonder where that guitar is now?

Register Sign in to join the conversation