Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Lifted from Crippled Lion’s face book post.

Found another Youtube artifact from around 1979-1980 (this was a cut from his first solo album with Mark Knopfler)--

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy playing a....

White Falcon????

A great pic unknown to me: Bo Diddley with Alan Freed and his group, Jerome Green (maracas) and Clifton James (drums),

More interesting is the Bo's guitar: looks like a two-tone mid-50s Country Club.

Another pic following message.

A great pic unknown to me: Bo Diddley with Alan Freed and his group, Jerome Green (maracas) and Clifton James (drums),

More interesting is the Bo's guitar: looks like a two-tone mid-50s Country Club.

Another pic following message.

– Hepkat67

Nice catch! Looks like a Club alright. Could be as early as late '54 due to the lack of an upper strap knob. Could be a Copper Mist and Bamboo Yellow/Ivory. Wonder where it is.

lx -- back in 1992, Albert Molinari, who owned the major vintage store on Sunset Boulevard in LA (the name of the store escapes me) had a 1954 Lotus Ivory and Copper Mist Country Club for sale that came with a real ratty tweed case. He wanted $2000 for it. I went home and withdrew $2000 in cash from my bank and went down the next morning to buy the guitar. When I got there in the morning, Albert had already sold the guitar the previous afternoon.... Boo-hoo

I looked a bit more at the photo and it appears that the back of the neck is sprayed with the lighter color. IIRC isn't there a pic of such a model in the Scott book leaning on a fire hydrant?

Another pic of Bo with his Country Club.

Of course we know that The Big O had solid Gretsch connections but I'd not seen this one previously with his White Falcon in its original state. The Wink Westerners?

Now if you go chasing rabbits, you know you're gonna fall...

Of course we know that The Big O had solid Gretsch connections but I'd not seen this one previously with his White Falcon in its original state. The Wink Westerners?

– staceyboy

Great photo, but a few years too late to be the Wink Westerners. They disbanded in 1956 after a brief spell with a name change as the Teen Kings. With Roy playing his ‘59 Falcon this has to be post 1959....I’d guess 1960.

^ That guitar definitely needs some knobs.

Joni

– Mr Tubs

I wonder if that's Neil Young's Springfield 6120. It has the switches close to the edge just like his. Good catch!

I cropped the pic, she's standing next to Neil. . .

Lx gets extra nerd points on that call... well played Sir!

New to the forum. Soon to be a first time Gretsch owner.

One of my favourites. Conrad Keeley of ...And you will know us by the Trail of Dead

On Letterman:

And with a different Gretsch:

This one showed up today. It's Big Joe Turner - in the mid-1960s - with Bill Haley & his Comets. That alone is cool, but Bill is also playing what seems to be a one-pickup Tennessean. It looks so tiny compared to the gi-normous Gibsons I'm used to seeing him play...

Good find. I've never seen Bill Haley with a Gretsch before.

Joe Westray (Errol Garner, Billy Eckstine) with a 55ish Country Club.

Buddy Shaw had three singles out on Starday in 1957, including the great "Don't Sweep That Dirt On Me", and he plays an Electromatic.

Is Jeff Beck -- w/ Duo Jet /Crazy Legs in all this? Also Crosby/Byrds era --- seen w/ Gent/Tenny/Falcon

Register Sign in to join the conversation