Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Jimmy Capps. See page 15 for a still.

Is that a Bigsby pickup in the neck position of that single cutaway Gent?! Awesome!

– kc_eddie_b

Sure looks that way. And is that a Synchromatic ukulele?

You mean Ira's Framus 6/47G Graciella mandolin?

And according to the Malpass Brothers (who are damn good),_it's a '59 with a bigsby pu - Link

Bonus Vox teardrop. New York Dolls.

I'm getting worried at this point that I may be reposting things from years ago. There was also a pic I saw of one of the replacement guitarists in Chicago with a White Falcon but then I couldn't find it when I actively looked for it.

Nice! I spotted that guitar the other night on the PBS Country Music documentary. It’s a cream finished pre-war Synchro, but I’m not sure of the model. Is it big enough to be a 400??

– kc_eddie_b

Every bit , I think. Probably an 18" bout.

In a previous post I identified it with Maybelle Carter. Should be Helen Carter.

Lee

– Kap'n

That was a truly sweet video of the Louvin Bros. Is that Paul Yandell on the electric guitar?

Lee

It's Jimmy Capps. He has a great bio out called "The Man In Back" about his career as a sideman.

It's Jimmy Capps. He has a great bio out called "The Man In Back" about his career as a sideman.

– spike

Thanks Spike.

Lee

And is that a Synchromatic ukulele? - Me

You mean Ira's Framus 6/47G Graciella mandolin? - Spike

Anyone remember the original Lost in Space? Here is Bill Mumy (on the left) with his Duo Jet. He actually has a number of Gretsch guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation