Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Kitty Wells! Actually her guitarist Pointdexter Buzzcut in the red pants seems to be playing a '58-ish Annie while she's thumping a blonde Gibson archtop.

Isn't that Paul Yandell?

Kitty Wells! Actually her guitarist Pointdexter Buzzcut in the red pants seems to be playing a '58-ish Annie while she's thumping a blonde Gibson archtop.

– lx

doesn't that look like a horseshoe on the headstock?

Isn't that Paul Yandell?

– Bryan K.

It is. Playing a guitar we've discussed before, apparently a retopped 6120 with some interesting f holes

Discussion here: Link

Ben Watt, sorry I couldn't find a still so here's a Top Of The Pops performance. Good close ups.

Has this one been posted? The late great Greg Lake.

Has this one been posted? The late great Greg Lake.

– will

Oh, what a lucky man he was.

Oh, what a lucky man he was.

– lx

And he wrote that song when he was 12 years old.

Lucky Man indeed.

Another of Ben Watt.

the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as...

– variantboy

I think that Penguin belonged to Prince’s hot guitarist Andy Allo.

I just came across this video of It's A Beautiful Day with David LaFlamme playing what looks like a sunburst Club. Guitarist Hal Wagenet plays a Guild Bluesbird and bassist Mitchell Holman plays a Ric bass, Enjoy!

Dr.John (RIP) with a '58/59 Jet Firebird.

Joie Calio of DADA & 7Horse

oh, boy, that's my favorite IABD song!

Sid Griffin

– Mr Tubs

What exactly is that 6120? Transition model 1957/58? The early modern reissues often had mixed specs but weird body shapes and this one looks right to me. And it appears to have a brass nut like the 57s.

What exactly is that 6120? Transition model 1957/58? The early modern reissues often had mixed specs but weird body shapes and this one looks right to me. And it appears to have a brass nut like the 57s.

– sascha

No such thing as Filters and humpblocks on a vintage 6120. The real transitional '57s were the opposite - DeArmonds and thumbnails. I'm thinking maybe Streamliner conversion?

No such thing as Filters and humpblocks on a vintage 6120. The real transitional '57s were the opposite - DeArmonds and thumbnails. I'm thinking maybe Streamliner conversion?

– Afire

Maybe a reneck... or changed fret board? I think I see Imperial tuners on that, so it's probably not all original, which open it up for the possibility of other mods.

Went to YouTube to play along with/ learn some of the Gin Blossoms' "Found Out About You" and lookee there! Not sure if this is the late Doug Hopkins playing (most likely is) ..

Ah yes, my introduction to Gretsch guitars, apart from the Stray Cats of course. Charlie Burchill, Simple Minds.

Was watching some older Man... Or Astroman live videos and to my surprise I noticed Star Crunch playing a few Gretsch guitars in the 90's. He is so associated with Mosrites and Hallmark copies that it came as a bit of a shock.

– fistpicker

He broke that Gretsch at some point - there's a photo of it somewhere with the neck popped off but damned if I can remember where I saw it...

Flipping through the tv and saw this...the band America with a Gretsch.

Flipping through the tv and saw this...the band America with a Gretsch.

– Bob Howard

I guess we can now say that Gretsch guitars do in fact "make America great again". (sorry... had to do it even if risking the beating of that dead horse with no name!)

Cajun country rockabilly and Neil Young collaborator (there's your Gretsch connection) Rusty Kershaw with a much loved '55 Rancher, photo taken by a fan in 1959. Here is Rusty with brother Doug at the Grand Ole Opry and a '55 6120. Rusty and Doug play Hey Mae with Hank Garland on lead.

Jane Wiedlin - very cool double cut 60s Silver Jet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation