Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Dang, Tubs,

In that photo, at least, Spedding is a dead ringer for movie director David Lynch.

Paul/FF909

Mark Knopfler

– Ric12string

Knopfler has always been a bit of a closet Gretsch fan. Might just be a result of his devotion to Chet.

was just getting to posting the Hendrix photo, but Ric beat me too it.......

Stevie "Git-tar" Miller

Brilliant thread! Keep 'm coming!

Here's Tommy Emmanuel:

But then, what doesn't Tommy play?

Joe Perry of Aerosmith

We all know Steve Hunter plays a Gretsch?

That's an interesting mutt that Steve Miller has there.

Richie Sambora with my old Super Chet.

That's an interesting mutt that Steve Miller has there.

– Afire

I'm thinking that Steve Miller is playing a modified '58/59 6119 there. Filtertron in bridge position, no fretboard binding (or on f-holes). The photo appears to be a B&W image that's been colorized. Kinda makes it look like a two-tone finish with lighter top than sides.

The late, great Rory Gallagher, with his Gretsch Corvette:

I'm thinking that Steve Miller is playing a modified '58/59 6119 there. Filtertron in bridge position, no fretboard binding (or on f-holes). The photo appears to be a B&W image that's been colorized. Kinda makes it look like a two-tone finish with lighter top than sides.

I think that's right. When colorized to red, it makes it a bit more obvious...

From another thread that had that Chuck Berry picture...

Butch Vig (Garbage) I've also seen him wield a MY signature once.

James Hetfield

– Gerry Ratrod

Not Het's only Falcon!

Ronnie Wood with a '58 Falcon!'

– kc_eddie_b

I can just hear him saying "Watch the 'eel luv!"

– kc_eddie_b

It also looks like he has a Precision Bass pickup in the neck position. Steve was evidently an early advocate of modding. Check out this picture from the cover of his second album "Sailor." Steve is holding a Gibson Barney Kessel with a third pickup added, while bandmate Boz Scaggs has a Guild Starfire with a Gibson bass humbucker added in the middle.

Great stuff... I think I have also seen pix of Springsteen with a 6075-12 string.

Alex Schultz with Rod Piazza

Register Sign in to join the conversation