Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Dr John

– spike

Too cool, you win!

Rusty Draper @20:00 with a coool green56 Country Club - looks black in the footage, and loads of other great stuff

– spike

Check out the little bit of hot guitar Rusty plays at the 19:00 mark. Usually see him with a Streaminer. That Club looks thicker than 2.75" to me.

Jimmy Buffet has been playing a Country Gentleman lately.

That'd be cool if it were blue. I'm more worried he'll drop that guitar when he moves his left hand. Might conk the adoring lady in the head.

Rusty's Club looks blueish black, but I think it's a cadillac green example suffering from early color photography.

1980s Los Angeles band Lions & Ghosts. I wonder what happened to them? I like their mix of jangly pop with guitar rock.

With a Jet -

With a 6120 -

This is Warren Miller, known to rockabillies by his "Everybody's Got A Date But Me" 45 on United Artists from 1959.

He's pictured here with a Duo Jet or a Firebird. Dynasonics, block markers and pickguard indicate a 55 or 56 vintage.

Extra cool - John Mayall (with Tbone)

The Glaser Brothers - Chuck, Tompall & Jim. Chuck holds a Sunburst 54 or 55 Country Club. Jim has his B16 equipped Blackguard Telecaster

Lol, I just saw that pic and was coming to post it here. Great minds etc.

The Faron Young Band, 1963 Big Ben on steel guitar, Odell Martin on lead guitar - a 6120? -, Darrell McCall on bass and Roger Miller on drums. [EDIT] Odell Martin plays his Country Gent

Lots of waaaay cool pics of Odell with a Gretsch or two here

Odell Martin on lead guitar - a 6120?

It does look deep to be a Gent, but that can be hard to gauge. But I'm thinking it has to be. You'd see some trace of the f-hole binding if it was a 6120 and I'm not seeing anything.

You're right Afire. This is the Gent also pictured (thanks Spike) here, post 8

This is Curtis Johnson, rockabilly singer from Maine, playing a '57 6120. He had two singles out on Event in 1956 and 1957, with backing by Lenny Breau on lead gtr. Refer to this THREAD from the late Norm for more details.

Sugarfoot Collins (lead guitar for Slim Whitman) and his Round-Up

Mike Waggoneer & The Bops, Minnesota Frat Rock'n'Roll band, active from approx. '56 to '64. I think this is Colin Waggoneer 6120 pictured here. A nice 1960 or 1961 flamed model, heavily modified with changed pickguard, pickups and knobs.

Link

Lou Reed on a Country Gent (?) in 1967 with the Velvet Underground playing Heroin. I really didn’t know that He played a Gretsch. Subject matter isn’t my cup of tea and the camera work leaves a lot to be desired.

I think that guitar is pretty much all he played in the VU days. Looks as though it might have fared pretty poorly near the end...

In happier times (the guitar, that is)...

Just came across this old Tommy James and the Shondells vid... Looks like a Chet?

The the´s Matt Johnson has just finnished a comeback tour where he has played exclusively his old gretschs.

Extra cool - John Mayall (with Tbone)

– spike

Dont recognize the Guitarist but Hughie Flint on drums. I think its Roger Dean !

Chris Spedding has obvs been mentioned upthread, but here is some terrific early live footage with a 6120.

Register Sign in to join the conversation