Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

One of my fave bands here in Australia. Front End Loader.

Their singer/ guitarists are normally on Les Paul and SG

But this Gretsch reference appeared amongst their posts re. New album just released.

https://www.facebook.com/Fr...

Dang. Gotta find a way to post the pic...

Ok. The post

And this is a live set of them playing that I filmed last year.

No gretsch playing on It tho. Language and loudness warning

Peter O’Doherty from Dog Trumpet,

More rare rockabilly!

Orangie Ray Hubbard and his group, backed by Barney Rapp’s Orchestra at Cincinnati Gardens, ca. 1957. (l-r) Nelson Young, Bill Zekie Browning, Orangie Ray Hubbard, Clinton Doane, Herman Criss, Barney Rapp. Bill Zekie Browning plays a mid 50s Duojet. (Pic from "The Starday Story" book, Nate Gibson)

Looks like the ultra-rare silver painted celluloid wedge guard. I've only ever seen the one that showed up here in its final stages of disintigration. I think it might have been Biel's? Might be the very same guitar.

Looks like the ultra-rare silver painted celluloid wedge guard. I've only ever seen the one that showed up here in its final stages of disintigration. I think it might have been Biel's? Might be the very same guitar.

– Afire

If so, then this guitar played on one of the most revered rockabilly side of the 50s! Orangie Ray Hubbard "Sweet Love" Dixie 662

Very cool

Yes that was Biel's disintegrating silver wedge guard.

At the other end of the spectrum...here is Brent Hinds / Mastodon, in the studio playing a vintage Tennessean.

Del Shannon with a Country Club

Jim Moginie - Midnight Oil

Jim again, from the recent tour

Brad Shepherd - Hoodoo Gurus

Andrew Stockdale - Wolfmother

Del Shannon with a Country Club

– Hepkat67

Interesting. He would typically be seen with a 6120.

Loyd looks a lot like Peter Frampton these days.

I was flipping through the wife's CD's yesterday and found this picture of Sheryl Crow wielding a GreTsch Silver Jet

Register Sign in to join the conversation