Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Yeah, the mutes themselves and one of the flip levers is apparent in Chuck's picture. Which is why I assumed Don was talking about the Falcon in the Tommy Doyle picture in post 370. It's harder to see in that one, with his hand covering the actual mutes, and the dial-up knob deviously hiding among the other knobs like a snake in the grass.

Pete

– NJDevil

And most importantly, about everything on albums were done with that gretsch. He just didnt play it live much, but it is on most early crucial recordings.

Moderators, please consider making this a sticky thread. It is probably one of the most informative and important threads on the Gretsch Pages.

This popped up on Facebook today. Dig those crazy palm pedals on this double cut white falcon.

(Found on Facebook)

Unknown cowgirl band with what looks like a Gretsch archtop

found on youtube: still from a TV appearance of Roberta Sherwood with the Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey Orch, 1956. I don't know who the guitarist is, but he plays a Duo-Jet. From what I can see, it's a 53 or early 54 model, as it still has the white triangular pickguard and no insert at first fret.

(Found on Facebook)

Unknown cowgirl band with what looks like a Gretsch archtop

– Hepkat67

Yup, '36-9 Model 50. Cool photo.

Hendrix played a Corvette?

Cool photo and the Corvette does appear to be strung for a lefty, although the strap hasn't been reconfigured. No affiliation with the seller who is not claiming it to be his, but a neat bit of information if true. Has anybody heard the Curtis Knight record Get That Feeling?

Mike McCready... I knew he had a vintage 6119, but had trouble finding a photo of him with it.

found on youtube: still from a TV appearance of Roberta Sherwood with the Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey Orch, 1956. I don't know who the guitarist is, but he plays a Duo-Jet. From what I can see, it's a 53 or early 54 model, as it still has the white triangular pickguard and no insert at first fret.

– Hepkat67

The guitarist is Al Caiola. He used several Gretsch models during his career.

Register Sign in to join the conversation