Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Glen Buxton

– gretschcrush

Glen also played a jet on the BDB tour. :)

Mcguinn at Monterey - 7 mins

Calvin showing off Townshend like jumps!

Perhaps more apt to say that Townshend's jumps were Newborn-like. Newborn's jumps were probably T-Bone-like.

In addition to the behind-the-back move, T-Bone was also said to be the inspiration for guys playing with their teeth.

Chris Britton of the Troggs. "From Home" is one of my favorite Troggs songs and the fuzz in both songs on his Gent is awesome.

The Icicle Works - Double cut 6120. "Whisper to a Scream"

I think that's a Ric....

Guitarist for the The Cramps, Poison Ivy (Kristy Wallace).

Near the beginning of this video of Antonio Carlos Jobim's session in L.A. with Elis Regina in 1974, the guitarist (I think it's Helio Delmiro) looks to be playing a Gretsch... not sure what model.

Great catch! Definitely a 6120 with a v-cut Bigsby, probably a double cutaway, but maybe a '61, hard to tell at that angle. Cool to know that a Gretsch was at those sessions. I've tabbed out the chords to "Waters of March" but have not gotten around to it yet. I love Jobim.

Thanks lx. I love Jobim too, in fact I'm a Jobim fanatic.

Here's one that I love. Only audio on this, but from his tone, it sounds like Delmiro might have been using that same Gretsch on this Sarah Vaughan recording of "Chovendo na roseira" (aka "Double rainbow")...

I've enjoyed this for years, and it never occurred to me that he might be using a Gretsch. A lot of the electrics used in Brazil back in the day tended to be lesser known brands.

Well, a quick search reveals (in a long video... sorry) that Delmiro was indeed a Gretsch guy!

He's playing a '70's Gent in your second clip.

Someone has borrowed my copy of Elise & Tom, but I've got a Jobim set with Waters of March on it. Helio is playing electric guitar on it; it's mixed low almost behind the requisite nylon stringed guitar, but you can clearly hear it on the intro alternating with the bass: that's a Gretsch with Filtertrons running clean!

As far as "lesser known" brands, Gretsches were considered passe in the '70's with all the LP and Strat fetish happening. There must have been a lot of them hanging around in the used shops in LA.

Waters of March is one of my favorite songs; that a Gretsch is on it is just (I never use this word) awesome!

Kidgretsch, I'm really enjoying Roland Prince's playing and tones (a bit more grit!); thanks for posting that. Sounds like a Gibson on the second song.

As far as "lesser known" brands, Gretsches were considered passe in the '70's with all the LP and Strat fetish happening. There must have been a lot of them hanging around in the used shops in LA.

What I meant was that during my time of collecting (a lot of) Brazilian recordings, it was relatively rare for me to see an electric guitar, and when I did it was typically not a brand that I recognized. Passe or not, Gretsches were still a major brand at the time (60's, 70's).

Waters of March is one of my favorite songs; that a Gretsch is on it is just (I never use this word) awesome!

"It" was of course just one of many recordings of the song, in fact there were about a half dozen recordings that preceded the Elis/Tom collaboration. But I agree... it's cool that Helio was using one on that great recording (and the Sarah Vaughan recordings, unless I'm mistaken).

Not sure if this one has been posted already?

The Clash at the Roxy, 1977 - Joe Strummer with a White Falcon

Cheers mate. I posted Sal Salvador and Rune Gustaffson on another thread about Gretsches in Jazz

Register Sign in to join the conversation