Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

I know that David Gilmour has popped up already but here he is playing a Penguin!

With Warren Zevon loads of soloing towards the end.

Well.

That was a cheery - but brilliant - video. The conceptual domain of industrial dysfunction and dystopian apocalypse has always attracted and even sardonically amused me.

Warren's almost as depressing as Roger Waters (in the nicest, most fascinating possible way, of course). No wonder Gilmour developed a vibrato which on certain whole bends somehow expresses the mingled fear, majesty, and dark consummation of doom and dissolution. He was surrounded by nihilists. No wait - maybe realists?

Anyway, great video. Kind of a cross between "Brazil" and "Mr Krinkle."

A few more I don't remember seeing:

1). Hilton Valentine - The Animals, 1962 Gretsch Tennessean (House of the Rising Sun). 2). Gerry Marsden - Gerry and the Pacemakers, 1962 Gretsch tennessean (Don't let the Sun catch you crying). 3). David Crosby - The Byrds, 1962 Gretsch Tennessean, Not on Mr. Tambourine Man. 4). Paul Atkinson - The Zombies, Double cut 6120 (She's Not There).

RIP Bobby Vee (April 30, 1943 – October 24, 2016, aged 73)

Terry Kath sporting a Tennessean.

"Kath's interest in jazz was evident in his choice of instrument. Many young guitarists of the day longed to own and play the solid-body Fender guitars used by the Ventures. Kath ultimately used Fender and Gibson solid-body guitars, but his instrument in The Mystics was a hollow-body Gretsch Tennessean, a guitar more suited for jazz, Higgins said. "He did a lot of work on that guitar. No one but him could play it without it buzzing," Higgins said. Kath used light gauge, "slinky" flat-wound strings for a mellow tone. Higgins believes Kath established the foundation of his style on that guitar by listening to Roberts and Montgomery. Kath also was a big fan of The Beatles, he said."

Obscure Northwest rocker Leon Smith ("Leon Smith & The Orbits Rockers") strutting his 1956 (?) 6120. Leon Smith had a few releases in the late 50s/early 60s, notably "Little Forty Ford" (1959) on Williamette Records out of Oregon.

Obscure Northwest rocker Leon Smith ("Leon Smith & The Orbits Rockers") strutting his 1956 (?) 6120. Leon Smith had a few releases in the late 50s/early 60s, notably "Little Forty Ford" (1959) on Williamette Records out of Oregon.

– Hepkat67

I owned that 6120 for a few years. Was a nail hole 56' headstock. Really nice guitar. I named it 40 ford :).

– Hepkat67

I owned that 6120 for a few years. Was a nail hole 56' headstock. Really nice guitar. I named it 40 ford :).

Ha,i have that album from the Dennis Potter tv series Lipstick On Your Collar!

Did he appear in this thread already? Tim Wheeler of 'Ash' and his pre-FMIC Silver Jet. Saw them 20 years ago and last month. Same guitar.

Terry Kath sporting a Tennessean.

"Kath's interest in jazz was evident in his choice of instrument. Many young guitarists of the day longed to own and play the solid-body Fender guitars used by the Ventures. Kath ultimately used Fender and Gibson solid-body guitars, but his instrument in The Mystics was a hollow-body Gretsch Tennessean, a guitar more suited for jazz, Higgins said. "He did a lot of work on that guitar. No one but him could play it without it buzzing," Higgins said. Kath used light gauge, "slinky" flat-wound strings for a mellow tone. Higgins believes Kath established the foundation of his style on that guitar by listening to Roberts and Montgomery. Kath also was a big fan of The Beatles, he said."

– Setzer

Love that Silvertone in the foreground

Can't remember if this has already been posted ,but just seen this the other night on Top of The Pops on BBC4,Fleetwood Mac - Oh Diane.

Lindsey Buckingham with a 6120, around 1983 ,obviously used just for this video,but cool nonetheless.

I caught the latest Austin City Limits this weekend, with Band of Horses and Parker Milsap. The lead singer of BOH (on the fence if I like the group or not) was playing a vintage sunburst Annie.

The recent post with the image of Wes Montgomery playing a '54 Duo Jet sent me into my archives to find some pix of people wielding a Gretsch whom you wouldn't have thought ever did. One of the classic examples of this is the Chuck Berry photo/vid with him playing a 50s Round-up (but I couldn't find that photo). But here are some other unexpected pairings! Please add any that you may know about!

Here's Jimmy Page with a '54 Duo Jet.

– kc_eddie_b

Wheres the Wes pic, gotta see that..

Wheres the Wes pic, gotta see that..

– kidgretsch

Here you go:

Register Sign in to join the conversation