Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

Probably not news to most here.

And, you may want to think twice before you give Pete Townshend a nice guitar. Here is his aforementioned 6120 in action on stage.

Jimmy and Johnny (Jimmy Lee Fautheree and "Country" Johnny Mathis) on stage at The Louisiana Hayride, circa mid 50s. Jimmy plays a '56 6120

This is a pretty good thread.

And, you may want to think twice before you give Pete Townshend a nice guitar. Here is his aforementioned 6120 in action on stage.

– LHR

Unforgiveable act of desecration by a pommie bastard! Great guy when sober apparently.

Ry Cooder no less

– twangjunkie

er, that's John Hiatt.

er, that's John Hiatt.

– Mr Tubs

Ooof, my bad, time for an eye test I think.

I never knew this until today - Grady Martin.

– spike

How about this picture of Grady and Johnny Horton. 6120!

@Tele295: this is Tommy Tomlison playing the 6120 on this picture. Tommy was the road guitarist for Johnny Horton, when Grady Martin was the studio guitarist. As far as we know, Grady Martin never played a 6120. On the classic J.Horton Columbia sides, he played his double-neck Bigsby and his tenor Danelectro.

(L-R) Phil Gray, Russel Williford, Floyd Cramer, Marty Robbins

Russel Williford is best known for standing in for Cliff Gallup in 1956, as seen in "The Girl Can't Help It" and on the sleeve of Gene Vincent's 2nd LP. He's playing here a 6120 ('55 by the shape of the truss rod cover)

Del Casher playing a Duo Jet in this cool 50's ad for Ecco-Fonic products

Little Jimmy Dickens and his band, sometimes in the 50s. Guitarist plays a '54 Duo Jet

Found another one

L-R: Johnny Johnson, Howard Rhoton, Spider Wilson, Joel Price, Little Jimmy Dickens Seated: Buddy Emmons

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! This has completely killed any GAS for a Falcon. I can't sodding stand that wanker.

– Mr Tubs

Nor can I, he's not even funny. Why do they indulge him??

Things to do with a Les Paul, ..... oh Pete, no...., he's dropped it.

Never mind. Filtertrons sound so much better.

Del Casher playing a Duo Jet in this cool 50's ad for Ecco-Fonic products

– Hepkat67

Which would later be converted to be a 12-string:

Warren Smith on stage at The Broken Spoke - Austin, TX, sometimes early 60s.
Al Hopson on guitar, a Gretsch Tennessean?

Register Sign in to join the conversation