Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Didn’t know they played a Gretsch…

The recent post with the image of Wes Montgomery playing a '54 Duo Jet sent me into my archives to find some pix of people wielding a Gretsch whom you wouldn't have thought ever did. One of the classic examples of this is the Chuck Berry photo/vid with him playing a 50s Round-up (but I couldn't find that photo). But here are some other unexpected pairings! Please add any that you may know about!

Here's Jimmy Page with a '54 Duo Jet.

Paul Stanley... unmasked and rocking the 60's 6120.

We all know Jack White is a Gretsch guy... but this was a surprise!

David Gilmore seems to love his Duo Jet in this 2002 performance from the Royal Festival Hall.

the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as...

George Benson and Hank Garland and Bill Jennings

Ah... Benson is a good one! Garland and Jennings both did Spotlight ads endorsing Gretsch guitars so they are less unexpected to me.

If anyone could rock the Custom Shop Grape sparkle Penguin, it would be Mr. Prince, but he goes in for the more conservative approach, interesting!

Robin Trower - Procol Harum

The Paramounts - Robin Trower

Billy Joe (of Green Day)... who seems to like the color black.

Now with P-90s - Chris Spedding

lou reed used gretsch right from the start with the velvets..at one point he intergrated various vox effects like the repeat percusion/vibrato inside his country gentleman

the great session guitarist chris spedding also used a gretsch early on..he now uses a 6120 with robert gordon

cheers

Butch Vig (Garbage) I've also seen him wield a MY signature once.

James Hetfield

Ooh... both good one's Ger (aka Ratrod)!

Joe Perry of Aerosmith

Another of The Boss sans Telecaster.

Roger Daltrey playing a Rancher.

Who knew that they have Gretsch guitars at the North Pole?

Dave Grohl with White Falcon (as seen in Monkey Wrench vid).

Here's one I have never seen, nor would I have guessed...

Jimi.

Register Sign in to join the conversation