Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Details about GRETSCH 7670 Country Gentleman 1973 Single Cut!?

Dang -- let the x-perts weigh in.

Well, this is most interesting! And no, I haven't even heard of a single cut Baldwin Gent let alone seen one!. One of those examples of a guitar with no mute system, necessitating the access hole in the back and it's plastic cover with a backpad, yet has one. It has the array of Baldwin changes - pickguard shape, Burn's Box truss rod system and BF pup cover but is a very pretty single cut!

Features I like here, along with it being a single cut is it DOESN'T have that retarded mute system, it has lovely bound open f-holes, which stand out, unlike the usual black painte-on ones and they're also bigger, CC size, than the painted ones. It also has a Chet arm and a zero fret.

It does have the mud switch I don't like along with the cheesy knobs but those are easy to change out.

Being a '73 build, it's very unlikely it has any binding rot or will develop any so that's a bonus. The only question would seem to be what everyone thinks of the asking price which being a rare/custom build notwithstanding, is a fair bit north of what I consider it's value.

Assuming the neck and electronics have no issues, I'd peg it's value at high $2k's to max in the low $3K's. From my observations of Gretsches for sale, the '70's Baldwin Gents appear to sell at a price similar to or slightly less than the better SC's for sale, that being the mid $2K The higher priced SC's just sit there, even in great condition. The super rarity and excellent condition of this custom Gent, for me, warrants a bit higher asking price, but certainly not all the way up to $5K

It's in Japan, which explains the price. The seller doesn't seem to know that it's a special order/custom. Very cool looking -- a bit similar to the early re-issues -- and seems pretty clean. The necks of the early reissues feel exactly like every Boonville Gretsch I've tried. IIRC the the '70-1 Gents (Brooklyn style) had no mutes but did have the back pad. Guess the original owner liked the pad.

Thanks for the reminder.....I forgot to comment on the issue of this guitar being in Japan, and given the recent discussion regarding the Japanese culture of using agents to sell stuff, I wonder, not having looked this up, how many other 'dealers' will be advertising this guitar. Regardless, IMO because of the price, it'll still be for sale a year from now.

I agree that the seller has no idea this is a custom order guitar. I'm not in the market for any more guitar but it would be a fun example to own, and a lot cheaper than any other single cut Gent for sale. A vintage original Gent in this condition would command even more than this example. Frankly, aside from the mud switch feature, This one has far more appeal to me than an original single cut, as I like the look of f-holes you can see! This one's purrrdy

Now THAT is a thing of Beauty, not 5 thousand beauty though, some of those Baldwin Gents are great Guitars. The Single cut and the back pad in 73 make me wonder though.

Don't think there's any issue here, price aside Norm, with this guitar. It's exactly like a normal '73 Gent except it's a single cut customized body. You don't hear about Gretsch doing custom work in the '70's but anything's possible. Could've been worked out with an employee to build it? As was pointed out by lx, all these Gents came without mutes but had the backpad, and whoever sees it except the player putting its strap over his head?

If I was interested and it wasn't being sold by multiple agents, I'd contact the seller, educate him on the current market price of Baldwin guitars in general - leave out any custom details! - and say I'd pay $2500 and see what develops. No onus on you, you just put a price out there. If he writes back declining your offer, tell him your offer will stand for 30 days and he has to get back to you. After 30 days, the offer is revoked. After 30 more days, you'll give him a new offer of $2400, good for another 30 days. It's all in your ballpark and you have nothing to lose. You might end up with a very nice guitar.

When an asking price is way too high, it never bothers me as I simply proceed based on a realistic and fair price. Years ago I went to see a local fellow about his '98 Gibson Gent. It was a case queen, with little playing time, not even set up well and not been out of the case in almost 15 years! He was asking $2500. Just a tad high so rather than get him angry with a low offer of say $2K, I said I'd give him $2300 and showed him the money. He took it and we were both happy.

As unusual as this guitar is, remember the body being used is merely a 1973 single cut White Falcon which was reintroduced at this time. So it would not have been a major task to make a custom made single cut Gent. The single cut White Falcon also had a back pad but without the mutes either. Also note the placement of the two selector switches not being on a diagonal but being in a straight line. For me, that is not as attractive as the diagonal placement but to each his own. As to value, $3500 is not out of line but $5,000 is IMO

I agree about the switch placement of 70's era single cuts ewkewk,Interesting guitar nonetheless.

Probably a custom order,we know there was a few 60's custom order single cut 6120's during the double cut era,and i recall seeing a late 60's single cut Gent several years ago which was a custom order,wish i had those pics.

One thing certainly is refreshing and that's that this is a rare ad from a Japanese dealer that is well written and not the hideous result of a computerized translation.

JCHiggy, another thing to note is that Gretsch in the Baldwin era also made at least one single cut Country Gentleman for Chet Atkins which he used extensively in public promoting on the NBC Today show, for example, his album with Les Paul, "Chester and Lester". I believe you can find a clip of that on YouTube. Also on YouTube I saw Chet Atkins performing with a double cut Country Gentleman which had the infamous (though I like it because it works) "Floating Sound Unit".

That looks amazing. Never seen one of those. Would love to play it. Bet it's got a killer low action and flat fingerboard.

As unusual as this guitar is, remember the body being used is merely a 1973 single cut White Falcon which was reintroduced at this time. So it would not have been a major task to make a custom made single cut Gent.

Was the single cut a thinline like this when it was first introduced? I know by the time of the 1975 catalog it was a deeper body. Regarless, your point is a good one since either way, they'd have had the plates and molds to make a 17" single cut, so using shorter sides wouldn't have been a big deal.

As to value, $3500 is not out of line but $5,000 is IMO.

I would agree, and who knows, it may well be priced at $3500 if you can hunt down the actual seller.

Remember, if in doubt, check other listings and if you see the backgrounds of all the listings being different, then it is one of these "agents."

For those of the feeling that $3500 isn't too high for this Baldwin era, albeit unique Gent, I'd just like to raise the point that you can pick up a used modern 6122-59 for less than that and it's ranked as one of the finest Gretsch models ever built not from the custom shop. It's dead true to Chet's '59 and the quality of build is unsurpassed, according to anything you read about them from any source.

So, if you were in the market for a single cut Gent and your budget doesn't allow for purchasing an older one, which one would appeal to you, especially for less money than the asking price of this guitar? IMO, the reason there's a market for this single cut Baldwin Gent is because it's available at less than half the price of the last of the original Gents from the early '60's and the seller might be of this line of thinking. However that doesn't mean it can command the asking price it does given the overwhelmingly impressive competition in the form of a used current 6122-59. Preferring to pay more for a Baldwin Gent, rarity be dammed, than a newer model just doesn't make any sense on any level.....and I'm a guy who everyone knows is a big fan and supporter of Baldwin era guitars!

BTW, there's a used 6122-59 for sale on the Guitar Center's website for $2995.

Afire, when the single cut White Falcon was reintroduced in 1973, it was the deeper 2 1/2 inch body.

WOW! That's gorgeous. I love the finish and there is nothing inauthentic, IMO. Just a Baldwin special of some sort, I'm sure. "Here's what's left in parts, for the day. See what you can do with it and blow my socks off, boys." I'm guessing but who knows. Certainly looks right for the era, except the cutaway but IMO it may bring that sort of money because of all the mixed special features. If I were a guy who had disposable cash and I were a collector, in that amount, I'd be tempted. Just sayin'

What do we think of this?

I don't believe i've ever seen a single cut Baldwin Gent before.

Has anyone seen one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/...

– JCHiggy

When I was shopping around for a vintage single-cut Gent in 2010, I remember coming across a single-cut model that was advertised (by a dealer, as I recall) as dating to 1969. A custom order, I think. I didn't save a photo of it, and can't remember many details now, but I believe it also had a back pad.

That’s a beauty. Pricey but nice.

I find this guitar infinitely more interesting than a 6122-59.

When I was shopping around for a vintage single-cut Gent in 2010, I remember coming across a single-cut model that was advertised (by a dealer, as I recall) as dating to 1969. A custom order, I think. I didn't save a photo of it, and can't remember many details now, but I believe it also had a back pad.

– JimR56

Yes,that maybe the same late 60's single cut Gent i seen,which i mentioned in post 9,wish i'd captured those pics.

There is single cut Gent in Tom Wheeler's American Guitars book,page 212, which is captioned as a circa 1960,but it has those Baldwin silver plastic knobs,i mean ,it could just have had new knobs fitted i suppose, it also has a single mute.

I'd be interested in Ed's opinion of this and any info he could share.. Paging Mr. Ball....

Register Sign in to join the conversation